Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive family selection parameter from another parameter within nested family

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
B4-DavidG
419 Views, 3 Replies

Drive family selection parameter from another parameter within nested family

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to figure out the formula that will drive the type selection parameter of a nested family from a text parameter in the host family. Please see the snip below:

Screenshot_2.png

So if the b4_ConstructionType = TYPE I - V, then the b4_ConstructionTypeSelection should select 'TYPE I - V' type of nested family as well. I can articulate this in English but not so much in Revitish haha

The reason I'm trying to do this is to link the text parameter to the global parameter of the projects where this family will be used. Unfortunately, Revit doesn't support linking type selection parameters to global parameters in the project and I'm trying to create a mediator parameter.

Thanks everyone in advance and have a happy Friday!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
barthbradley
in reply to: B4-DavidG

Make the Nested Family Shared and manipulate it directly in the Project.  

Message 3 of 4
ToanDN

You already have the Family type parameter to choose a table from a dropdown list.  Why do you need a text parameter to drive the selector?

What would the global parameter do in the project?

What are all those visibility parameters for?  If they are for turning on/off the nested tables then no, the type selector parameter already takes care of this task.

Message 4 of 4
RDAOU

@B4-DavidG 

Not sure what is the final purpose of such a family so I will stick to the question as is

1. purely in Revit, you cannot use text parameters/values in formulas...so NO you cannot control the Family<Type> using the value you type in the global parameter.
  2. Using Dynamo, yes you can. In dynamo you can evaluate and compare string

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report