Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Displaying All Previous Revision Numbers

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
roryGTFF5
1519 Views, 7 Replies

Displaying All Previous Revision Numbers

I'd like to display all previous revision numbers in my title block. This is the way my company's title block is set up and I'd like to automate it.

Screenshot 2023-03-08 095939.jpg

I was thinking the best way to do it would be to link the visibility of the revision number (which at the moment is just a text box) to the "Current Revision" of the sheet. So for [2], if "current revision" > 1, visible, else invisible; for [3], if "current revision" > 2, visible, else invisible. The problem is that I can't seem to find a way to use "current revision" of the sheet in visibility formulae in the title block family. Is there a way to do this that I'm missing, or isn't it possible?

This does seem like a bit of a caveman solution  for displaying the list of revisions automatically, but I can't think of a better way to do it. Surely there must be a solution or a cleverer way to do this?

And don't tell me to change the way revision numbers are displayed - I agree, I don't think it makes sense. But it's not my firm, so my opinion isn't going to change anything ๐Ÿ˜„

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
barthbradley
in reply to: roryGTFF5

@roryGTFF5 wrote:

This does seem like a bit of a caveman solution  for displaying the list of revisions 

Actually, I think this was the format that cavemen used: 

Caveman.png

Message 3 of 8
lucdoucet_msdl

@roryGTFF5 

You will need to better explain the revisioning system for us to help you. Here are a couple of questions:

1. Are your revision numbers by sheet or by project (project = a set of sheets issued for a reason, ex. permit)?
  2. Do the revision numbers have to be in increasing order (from left to right) on the list of boxes or can they be sorted as decreasing (highest number first). This will be important when you reach the last empty box, what happens?
  3. How does one know the date and reason associated with the current revision number. Where do these appear in the title block?
  4. Are the three "ISSUED FOR ..." supposed to be tied to the Revit revision reason?
  5. If yes to 4, is the box empty before being issued for each reason? What does the diagonal line hatch mean?

Please clarify so that we can better help you,

-luc

Message 4 of 8
roryGTFF5
in reply to: lucdoucet_msdl

Hi Luc,

Thanks for following up.
1. Revisions are listed by sheet and by project stage. So ground floor plan for sketch phase will have a list of revisions, when moving to design development phase these reset to 1 again.
2. Revisions are listed from left to right in increasing order. We haven't reached the last block of the revisions yet, so I'm not sure. I'd have to ask my director if that ever happened.
3. There's actually a revision schedule higher in the title block that lists the revisions in the sheet, the date of issue, who drew the revisions and the description. I've used a revision schedule to capture that information.

21M_W_000_rev1_230306(Recovery)1024_1.jpg

4. No, the 'ISSUED FOR...' changes depending on the phase (design, local authority, tender, etc.) and is changed manually. This is something I had also wanted to address based on the sheet number (eg., if the sheet number has a _T_ (for tender phase) then it checks the correct box), but it seems to be a similar issue in that the visibility for these boxes can't be tied to a parameter of the sheet, in this case the drawing number.

5. The diagonal line hatch is just a way to tick that box that looks neater than a check mark.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Hopefully the above will provide enough clarity to get an answer.

Message 5 of 8
lucdoucet_msdl

@roryGTFF5 

As revision schedules do not allow column breaks, a work-around would be to create multiple 1 cell high and wide schedules for each of the "slots" in your revision bar. Each slot would then have a text calculated parameter based on the numerical revision order set up as an if statement for each numeral.

For example, to display "4" if the current revision order is more than 3 otherwise place a blank character:

IF(Revision Order > 3, "4", "")

You would then adjust the height and width to the size of the "slots" and line them up, so that they only show one line of revisions. 

lucdoucet_msdl_0-1678715875702.png

Hope this helps,

-luc

Message 6 of 8
roryGTFF5

Thank you so much for this, you're a human genius. It worked perfectly. A bit of a work-around, of course, but it is a very specific application. I never would have thought of this, and I certainly wouldn't have had the patience to work through it!

I appreciate the help!

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 8
lucdoucet_msdl

@roryGTFF5 wrote:

Thank you so much for this, you're a human genius. 

Thanks for specifying my humanity ๐Ÿ˜‰

With ChatGPT on the rise (obligatory salutations to our AI machine overlords!), our days helping other users may effectively be limited.๐Ÿ˜…

-luc

Message 8 of 8
Yien_Chao

Luc is more powerful than ChatGPT ๐Ÿ™‚

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report