Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine Area Scheme from Schedule in template

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Redrunner92
4611 Views, 14 Replies

Determine Area Scheme from Schedule in template

In my template file I have set up a few schedules. (Ok, maybe more than a few. And maybe I copied some of them from Revit OOTB. I'll customize them later...) Among these are some Area Schedules. I also have set up a couple custom Area Schemes. And now, in a project file, I want to create an Area Plan to place the Areas from the relevant Area Scheme. However, I have no idea which schedule applies to which scheme, and I'm not sure I connected each Area Schedule to the correct Area Scheme Smiley Mad I know I can delete these in my template and make new, correct schedules, which I may need to do. For now, this is what I'm wondering: Is there a way to identify from which Area Scheme this schedule was conceived? I don't see any way in any of the fields shown in the image.

And just to admit it, yes I will take all the teasing about how I didn't think to coordinate the names of my Area Schemes with their corresponding schedules. One of the many lessons I've learned from working for years without someone teaching me Smiley Embarassed

Area Scheme from schedule question.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
barthbradley
in reply to: Redrunner92

I don't understand. Schedules are Area Specific, not multiple.    

...Highlight in Model? 

Message 3 of 15
Redrunner92
in reply to: barthbradley

Let's see if I can be explain better. Is there a way to see which Area Scheme I used when I originally set up the schedule?

This is the same schedule as in the original image, I merely added a Field to it.

Schedule creation.jpg

Message 4 of 15
ToanDN

If you have Areas drawn in that scheme then you can use highlight-in-model to find out. If not, save the file first, then go back to the Area scheme list and delete one scheme at a time, if the schedule disappeared after the deletion then that is the Area scheme you are looking for. Note it and Undo.

You maybe able to get the info with Dynamo, I am not sure, never tried.
Message 5 of 15
Redrunner92
in reply to: ToanDN

Yeah that would work as well. So in short, there is no way to simply see from which Area Scheme I made the schedule. I'm definitely going to coordinate my names more closely. Thank you for your help.

Message 6 of 15
barthbradley

So, what part of that Solution worked for you? Highlight in Model? Or, the other gymnastics @ToanDN suggested? 

Message 7 of 15
Redrunner92

It's not truly a solution, I'll admit. But he illuminated two ways I could check, which is the best I can do I suppose.

Is there something about accepting a response as a solution which I'm missing? Is it ok to leave my post without a solution? And are there unspoken rules/typical behaviors here? If you could inform me of anything I'm missing I'd appreciate becoming more aware of how things go around here.

Message 8 of 15
barthbradley

It's kind of like TIPPING.  

Message 9 of 15
Redrunner92

Simple enough. I sufficiently appreciate his workarounds in that case.

Message 10 of 15
seijord1

ToanDN's workaround works! But sometimes it can take a while. Definitely should be added to Revit OOTB - what would be best & simplest would be just an additional note in parentheses in the schedule's 'Fields' properties indicating what Area type (scheme) is being scheduled. This is needed because Areas from different schemes function as completely different Area types.

Message 11 of 15
barthbradley
in reply to: seijord1

@seijord1 wrote:

Definitely should be added to Revit OOTB - what would be best & simplest would be just an additional note in parentheses ... indicating what Area type (scheme) is being scheduled. 

It already exists - parentheses too. I think since 2002.  No? 

Area Type.jpg

Message 12 of 15
seijord1

@barthbradley - yes, it's included in the view name when you create a new schedule - but, if someone were to go in and rename the view, and delete the "(Gross Building)" part, then I don't think that info is shown anywhere else. You then have to use the "show in model" technique or other in order to figure out what area scheme is used for the schedule. Yes - you could be careful to keep the area scheme info in the view title - but especially with multiple users, you never know when someone will rename the schedule. I was thinking this info should be shown somewhere where it can't be deleted - like in the properties window, under "fields" ?

Message 13 of 15
barthbradley
in reply to: seijord1

@seijord1 wrote:

...you never know when someone will rename the schedule.

No offense, but it really sounds to me like you need to establish and enforce a naming convention.  That’s not really something Autodesk can do for you -- at least presently.  Some day maybe.   I can see a future where Revit will ZAP! the user should they try to "go off the reservation".  Until that day comes though. employ Nuns with rulers to keep everyone  in line.   

Message 14 of 15
VascoP

It's not about Autodesk enforcing Naming Conventions - I wouldn't want that - is about Revit being able to tell me what I'm looking at... I can trust people to mess things up with 90% certainty. So, they will rename it, once they're renamed, here is no easy way of telling which area scheme was used.
I'm using Dynamo to rename everything, families, types, everything... people can, and will mess up the names and at any time we run the scripts and name things as they should be.
Autodesk should tell me at least what we are scheduling, because how can I enforce a naming convention if people don't know (after was renamed) what the schedule is?
I guess I'll do a Dynamo workflow for this, but there is now solution to this problem, not without using a separate complex workflow to figure it out.

Message 15 of 15

This is getting old, but I see there's still no implementation from Revit. Disappointed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report