Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Options and Legend Components

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Redrunner92
735 Views, 14 Replies

Design Options and Legend Components

When I changed a Design Option to primary, a handful of errors popped up. Most of them I anticipated, but these errors about Legend Components are baffling me. I don't have Legend Components of any of these walls in a Legend. Also, since I cannot use the given ID #s to select objects, I am guessing these IDs refer to wall Types and not wall Instances. Does anyone know why errors about Legend Components are appearing, especially errors of the magnitude "must be addressed"?

Further info:

When I made the selected option primary, Revit duplicated a bunch of wall and floor types "to avoid duplicate names." I promptly deleted these unneeded duplicate types. Before I exited the errors menu, though, I noticed that these duplicate types are what the errors are addressing (note the "2" suffix in the wall type on the shown Legend Component error). This process of duplication may be a hint at what is going on to generate these un-ignorable errors. I don't know why this whole process of duplicate-then-cause-errors is happening.

A handful of errors regarding Legend Components which have no instances in the projectA handful of errors regarding Legend Components which have no instances in the project

I cannot use the element IDs to select anything. This leads me to believe these IDs belong to Types of walls rather than Instances of walls.I cannot use the element IDs to select anything. This leads me to believe these IDs belong to Types of walls rather than Instances of walls.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
barthbradley
in reply to: Redrunner92

I've had those before. Typically with Model Groups. In that case, it happens when a new System Family Type, such as a Wall Type, is introduced into the Project (via duplicating an existing Type and modifying the assembly of the duplicate)  while INSIDE Group Edit Mode.  It's generally a "no-no" to introduce new Families into the Project while inside Group Edit Mode. You should Edit and ADD Families that exist already.  

Message 3 of 15
Redrunner92
in reply to: barthbradley

Good to know about Groups, I'll keep that in mind. In this case I am not dealing with Groups; nonetheless, it may be the same issue since both Groups and Design Options have their own editing modes which isolate included objects. It is curious that Revit duplicated the types itself, then caused a series of errors based on its own action. Any idea why it duplicated the Wall Types when I changed which option was primary? It acted like I copied and pasted a Wall Type with an identical Type Name from another project.

Message 4 of 15
ToanDN

You duplicated a wall type while editing a Design Option.  Do it while you are in the main model instead.

Message 5 of 15
Redrunner92
in reply to: ToanDN

No I did not. Revit duplicated them when I clicked "Make Primary." I know not to duplicate a Type in a specific model mode (Groups, Assemblies, Design Options, etc.).

Message 6 of 15
ToanDN

@Redrunner92 wrote:

No I did not. Revit duplicated them when I clicked "Make Primary." I know not to duplicate a Type in a specific model mode (Groups, Assemblies, Design Options, etc.).

Sorry but I work with design options on every project and have never had the error you described when Make primary / Accept primary.  Can you show the wall type list prior to Make primary?

Message 7 of 15
vancikv

It seems that you're using Revit 2020. There have been improvements and patches to the options functionality since then. I've had a project where I couldn't change the primary option in 2020 due to some dependencies. After upgrading to 2021 it went fine.

Message 8 of 15
Redrunner92
in reply to: ToanDN

Here are the wall types as you requested. I also attached the errors and warnings list in case you want to dig deeper.

I was able to proceed past the errors by checking the boxes for each of the Legend Components and clicking the "Delete Checked" button.

Before I clicked "Make Primary"Before I clicked "Make Primary"

After I clicked "Make Primary". Note the duplicates with suffix "2"After I clicked "Make Primary". Note the duplicates with suffix "2"

Message 9 of 15
Redrunner92
in reply to: vancikv

Good to know! Thank you for sharing 🙂
Message 10 of 15
barthbradley

I see the "2"s.  Are you saying that the operation created these walls?  

...sorry, didn't see report. Looks like they were created to avoid conflicts.  

....again: similar to Model Group behavior I described before.  Fix Groups is an option in those cases.  Looks like you didn't have the option in this case.  

"Group instances of the same type do not contain identical members" in Revit | Revit 2020 | Autodesk...

Message 11 of 15
Redrunner92

In lieu of this, I am wondering why conflicts arose when I changed which option was primary.
Message 12 of 15
barthbradley

@Redrunner92 wrote:
In lieu of this, I am wondering why conflicts arose when I changed which option was primary.

Not sure what you are asking. The operation found and resolved a conflicts automatically.   Basically, it did want "Fix Groups" does, but without giving you the option.  

Message 13 of 15
Redrunner92

I'll word it another way: what are the conflicts which happened? There were no conflicts prior to when I clicked "Make Primary".
Message 14 of 15
Lachlan-JWP

If I had to guess... The only way to move elements between design options is copy/paste. I assume that is how Revit also moves elements between design options make accepting primary or similar processes. I don't know how things work on the back end but it could be that the "Primary" label for a design option isn't as simple as a check box for Revit. It may have to create a new option to replace the previous primary option and copy/paste elements between those options. That could be where the error come from.

Message 15 of 15
Redrunner92
in reply to: Lachlan-JWP

That makes sense. Even though this isn't a confirmed answer, it seems most likely out of all the possibilities I have thought of. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report