Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut a Host Family containing a parametric Array with Nested Families

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
AndycMacp
292 Views, 7 Replies

Cut a Host Family containing a parametric Array with Nested Families

This is for a cladding panel (host family) made up of angled boards (nested family) that I then need to square off at the top and bottom with a void in the host family to form the final panel. Screenshot and family attached in R2024. Thanks!

I would like to cut multiple nested families that are part of a parametric array in a Host Family. I have tried face-based void families but this does not work because the solids are an array and the families needing to be cut will vary depending on the total height of the panel.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Mike.FORM
in reply to: AndycMacp

You need to nest the array into another host family and then use a nested face base void family to cut the element.

The void family needs to be face hosted on the nested array family

Here is a quick and dirty version. I have not linked anything or set up any parameters in the void family to control its size.

MikeFORM_0-1710768344403.png

Message 3 of 8
AndycMacp
in reply to: Mike.FORM

Great, very helpful thanks! I don't know why I didn't think about nesting the array family!

Follow-up question, if the angle of the cladding boards changes, it drags the face-based void family with it (as it is hosted to the boards) - is there any way to stop the void family from rotating with the boards?

Thanks again!

Screenshot 2024-03-18 164443.png

Message 4 of 8
Mike.FORM

Align and lock the nested void family to ref planes in the host family.

Add a parameter in the void family for width, height and thickness and link them to the appropriate parameters in the host (Width --> TOTAL Width, Thickness --> Thickness, Height will need to be calculated with a formula in the host)

Message 5 of 8
AndycMacp

Thanks, I tried to lock the void family to reference lines but changing the angle of the boards breaks this? Sorry for not understanding!

Message 6 of 8
Mike.FORM

I fixed it. I made a flat extrusion that is bigger than the Array within the array family that does not rotate so I could host the voids to that face. Then the extrusion was turned off with a visibility parameter and the voids were associated to a workplane so they adjusted when you change thickness or batten depth.

You will need to update you bottom height parameter as the array is extending further than required to cover the Total Height.

Message 7 of 8
AndycMacp
in reply to: Mike.FORM

Amazing, thanks! Will give it a try tomorrow 🙂

Message 8 of 8
AndycMacp

Brilliant, I sorted out the bottom height and the bottom left corner of the boards which were not long enough for some parameters. I think I've achieved everything I wanted to, that is a rectilinear timber cladding panel with adaptive height, width and board angles.

Thanks so much for your help, I've learned a lot!1.png2.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators