Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain Wall_02

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
zs-17
999 Views, 22 Replies

Curtain Wall_02

When I select a glass of a curtain wall I can offset the distance to move the glass toward the inside or the outside. But, in my case, the negative number will make a gape between the glass panels, and at the same time, the positive number overlap the panels. Is there a way to make the panels look continuous, similar to what shows the last photo with an offset of (zero) no matter the variation of offset number will is set to?

Thank you

Photo 14.jpgPhoto 15.jpgPhoto 16.jpg

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
barthbradley
in reply to: zs-17

I have no idea what I'm looking at. Looks mighty strange though.  Can you post the file? 

Message 3 of 23
zs-17
in reply to: barthbradley

This is the same file of the previous post, the sent photos are from the top view, I want to sight the glass toward the outside (-3). At the same time I need a way to fill the gap between the glass.

Message 4 of 23
barthbradley

If you aren't using mullions, then why don't you apply a Glass Wall by [Mass] Face?  

Wallinlieuofcw.png

...actually, you can curve a Basic Wall and make it Material Glass.  Or, make a polygonal Glass Basis Wall. 

Poly Wall.png

Message 5 of 23
Lachlan-JWP

When you draw your wall location line in plan view that is the line that your glazing should be centred on for best results. If the glazing is to be offset to the front or back of the mullions, then it's best to offset the mullion family rather than the glazing.

Message 6 of 23
zs-17

On site it's mostly executed as segmented glass when it has a curve shape. It's the effects which I'm looking for with a frame on both sides in addition to top and bottom. I'm trying to learn Revit because it provides executing details otherwise I can learn 3ds Max for visual purpose. So that I'm trying to figure out how to design such example to provide execution details in a real project. When Revit isn't able to do such a thing I will thing then on haw to turn around.

Message 7 of 23
zs-17
in reply to: Lachlan-JWP

In my case, when I offset the centerline, the mullions becomes outside the wall, to fix that I have to replace it with a smaller one and I also have to increase the number of mullions. Let's say I work for an aluminum company with and I want to design then provide executing details. I need to figure a solution for that. That's the reason why I look for details and specific answers, It's not because I'm stubborn. It's because I want to learn Revit for the executing details that can provide.

Message 8 of 23
Lachlan-JWP

I think you may be trying to push Revit further than it wants to go. For very high levels of detail such as the aluminium profiles, you're better off using AutoCAD. Revit is used for construction documentation, not manufacturers detailing.

Message 9 of 23
barthbradley

@zs-17 wrote:

On site it's mostly executed as segmented glass when it has a curve shape. It's the effects which I'm looking for with a frame on both sides in addition to top and bottom. I'm trying to learn Revit because it provides executing details otherwise I can learn 3ds Max for visual purpose. So that I'm trying to figure out how to design such example to provide execution details in a real project. When Revit isn't able to do such a thing I will thing then on haw to turn around.

I thought you were talking about the gap. Model the Glass Panels using Basic Walls and you won't have a gap if you Allow Joins.  

Are you aware you can Replace a Curtain Panel with a Basic Wall Type?  

...check out all these nicely joined curtain panels in this Curtain Wall.  Each of the panels is a Basic Wall Type (1" Glass).  

1CWPBW.png

Message 10 of 23
zs-17
in reply to: Lachlan-JWP

I though Revit can provide such control but I don't know how to do it. I'm just trying to push myself to get the best from the software.

Message 11 of 23
zs-17

Let me say it this way.

I have a curtain panel type, the position of the panel between inside and outside is set by Offset option after selecting the panel; in my case, it's (-4 cm). this offset number makes a gap between the panels, if I go to -7, for example, the gap increase. If the offset number is set to Zero, the gap disappears, the panels look great but the panel position will shift to the center of the wall. the question is that, if I want the offset number to be -4 to reposition the panels between outside and inside, can I close the gap between the panels? can I make the panels look connected together?

Photo 20.jpg

Message 12 of 23
barthbradley

@zs-17 wrote:

can I close the gap between the panels? can I make the panels look connected together?

NO. You cannot JOIN Curtain Panels.  But YES, as I explained and showed above , you can JOIN Basic Walls that are used as Curtain Panels.  

Create a Basic Wall Type of the same thickness and material as your Glass Curtain Wall Panel. Select all Glass Curtain Panels in the Curtain Wall, Unpin them, an then replace them with the Basic Wall Type from the Properties Type Selector/Preview drop-down.   

Message 13 of 23
zs-17

Are you aware you can Replace a Curtain Panel with a Basic Wall Type? I don't believe I heard this before so that I didn't understand your reply. Please if you can show me with little details or steps on how to do it. I think this will do what I'm looking for.

Message 14 of 23
ToanDN

Simply select any panels, unpin if they are pinned, and change them to a wall type. But that does not mitigate your original issue of panel overlapping or gapping. Easies way is create the curtain wall as a basic thin wall made of glass.
Message 15 of 23
zs-17
in reply to: ToanDN

Ok.

Now I'm not familiar with the rules here. Do I have to accept Barthbradley's solution or ToanDN's to close this post? 🤔

Regards

Message 16 of 23
barthbradley

Pick both.  Pick as many as you want.  

Thanks.  

Message 17 of 23
ToanDN

Just use common sense.
Message 18 of 23
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

1BWvsCWP.png

Message 19 of 23
zs-17

1. The top effect is what I'm looking for, because, In real life, the glass panels have edges. I'm hoping to find a way to have the same effects no matter how I offset the panel toward inside or outside (without a gap between panels). Not only for this example but for the same issue with an outdoor overhead design. I'm trying to figure out what Revit can do to solve similar problems I may have in the future. I'm not trying to make it hard for anyone of you.
  2. I believe I closed this post, I don't know why it still open.

Regards

Photo 22.jpg

Message 20 of 23
barthbradley

@zs-17 wrote:
  1. I believe I closed this post, I don't know why it still open.

HA! The thread is open for all to see and reply to for all time.  It may still be active years from now -- even if you aren't.

FWIW: you can show edges of joined walls too.

Clean Wall Join.png 

...now if the thread was "closed", you would probably never have known this.  Good thing for you that it was still open, huh?  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Autodesk Design & Make Report