Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Window Family Based on Wall's Core Face Instead of Finish Face

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ghady_khalilQPXT6
253 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a Window Family Based on Wall's Core Face Instead of Finish Face

Hello Revit community,

I'm currently working on a project where I need to create a window family that is based on the wall's core face rather than the finish face. I have a specific client requirement that necessitates this approach.

By default, Revit 2022.1 windows are hosted to the wall's finish face. So when modeling the family, the window is always aligned to the finish face. 

However, i need to create a family that always aligns itself to the hosting wall's core, whether it has a finishing layer or not. The reason for this request is that my client plans to leave a section of the project uninsulated initially but still needs to install windows in that area. The intention is to create a reservation for future insulation and finishing work.

The windows in question are designed to be hung from the wall's structure. They won't rest on the concrete surface but will instead be supported by an L-shaped hinge that will be positioned just above the insulation when it's added in the future.

ghady_khalilQPXT6_0-1696511882799.png

like so

I tried creating reference planes and locking them to the core face 

ghady_khalilQPXT6_1-1696511945058.png

but whenever i load it in the revit file my window floats out rather than stiking to the core 

like so

ghady_khalilQPXT6_2-1696512400528.png

I tried adding an instance parameter where i manually add the finishing thickness but it seems to push farther away the smaller the number is without resolving the issue like so

ghady_khalilQPXT6_5-1696512674230.png

ghady_khalilQPXT6_3-1696512563378.png

ghady_khalilQPXT6_4-1696512586140.png

I would greatly appreciate any insights, suggestions, or guidance on how to achieve this specific hosting behavior for the window family within Revit. If there are any recommended workflows, tips, or third-party tools that can help achieve this, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Share the family

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 3 of 5

Here it is

Message 4 of 5

I looked at the family. It seems your parameter is constraint to the wall reference. However this will overconstraint your parameter since the 200 dimension is flexing point.

syman2000_0-1696525449203.png

To fix this, remove the 200 dimension and add new reference. Place the existing int parameter to reference the constrain reference to the wall with the new reference. Then add another parameter X to tie with the existing inner reference plane with new reference plane.

syman2000_1-1696525638662.png

Once you done this correctly, try change this value to 0 and you will see the window shift correctly.

syman2000_2-1696525746222.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 5 of 5

Thank you so much for your help! The solution you provided works perfectly, and I've successfully implemented it across all my project windows.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you; I was quite busy with the implementation. Your assistance has been invaluable. The last thing i wanted to do was add a hidden wall behind the existing one!

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators