Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating a sheet or titleblock in a 3d model family

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jnoordzij
1270 Views, 5 Replies

creating a sheet or titleblock in a 3d model family

Hi,

what I would like to do is the following.

I have a 3d model family (metric generic model). I would like to create a sheet within this family with two elevation views and a floor plan view of the model on it.

However I cant seem to create a sheet within the family. When I right click on 'Sheets (All)' I can not select 'New Sheet', only 'Browser Organisation'. I also can not load a titleblock into the family. Then it says:

While loading 'metric A4': Only the following kinds of families can be loaded into a 3d model family:
 - 3d model families
 - detail families
 - generic annotations
 - section heads
 - level heads
 - grid heads

I hope there is a way to do this. It seems pretty basic and logical to me. So I'm really wondering why it is not as simple as you'd expect. Is there an explanation for that?

If there's no way to dit it, can you maybe suggest a workaround?

Much thanks in advance.

JN

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Revit_Whisperer
in reply to: jnoordzij

You will need to load the family into a project, place it in a plan view then you can create the views you want and add them to a sheet.

Message 3 of 6
jnoordzij
in reply to: Revit_Whisperer

@Revit_Whisperer wrote:

You will need to load the family into a project, place it in a plan view then you can create the views you want and add them to a sheet.

Yes... however:

The family is nested into another ("mother") family, which is loaded into a project.

I have thought about creating some views around the "mother" family, and then to hide everything except for the nested family that I want to see. But this is not possible, because when I hide the "mother" family the nested family disappears with it.

Can you think of any tricks for this?

Message 4 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

From the parent or host family (for some reason we don't say 'mother"), select the "child" family, and click on "Edit Family", then use "Load into Project", then create some views and place the views on a sheet.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 6
Revit_Whisperer

I would just start a new blank project, save this family into it (don't load in the host family) and then create the sheet and views

Message 6 of 6
jnoordzij
in reply to: Revit_Whisperer

@Revit_Whisperer wrote:

I would just start a new blank project, save this family into it (don't load in the host family) and then create the sheet and views

Allright, this seems as the most workable solution.

However, I'm still a bit disappointed that Revit does not have the option to create sheets within the family file itself.

Seems so logical and straight forward that I do not understand why it is not possible.

Maybe an idea for an improvement in the future?

Anyway, thanks for the help over here!

JN

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report