Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a precisely sized hole in the slab, that goes through only part of the height of the slab.

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
f.annoscia1XRNMD
876 Views, 13 Replies

Create a precisely sized hole in the slab, that goes through only part of the height of the slab.

Hi everyone.

I need to create a precisely sized hole in the slab, like in the image, that goes through only part of the height of the slab.

1.png

I created a solid in a Revit family, but it doesn't actually cut the slab when I import it into my project.

Immagine 2023-03-01 155945.png

I need this to make a model for 3d printing.
Thank you.

Tags (2)
Labels (3)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
BDMackey
in reply to: f.annoscia1XRNMD

Your best bet is to create a family with a void that has a depth.

Here is my example

Message 3 of 14
f.annoscia1XRNMD
in reply to: BDMackey

Do I need to create a floor family? And then replace the floor in the model? How would I go about placing the voids exactly in the model?
For me, creating families is a fairly new topic.

I had created this family from generic templates.

Immagine 2023-03-01 163118.png
Thanks for your answer.

Message 4 of 14
ToanDN

The family needs not to be a floor based in case you need it to cut something else other than floors (foundation slab or roof, for example).  Change void to solid and tick Cut with void when loaded, then use Cut geometry to cut the floor with the family in project.

Message 5 of 14
f.annoscia1XRNMD
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you @ToanDN. I'm doing something wrong, the solid does not cut the floor. I can't use the command you wrote me. I attach the slab and solid family files.

Message 6 of 14

I have attached slab and family files in the comment above.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 14
ToanDN

You need a void, not a solid.

Message 8 of 14

Thanks everyone for the replies! It worked. 😘 😊

Message 9 of 14

Hole1.png

Hole12.png

Message 10 of 14

In the whole project file that I'm using it didn't allow me to select both the slab and the void with the "cut" command, even though both are visible. Then I succeeded by opening a section and the two parts were selectable.

Message 11 of 14

What is this? @barthbradley 

Message 12 of 14

@f.annoscia1XRNMD wrote:

What is this? @barthbradley 

My screenshot?  If you got to ask, then I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were trying to cut a hole in a slab - on its edge.  That's what my screenshot shows.  Nothing special needs to be modeled. You can use a OOTB structural framing component (beam) like I'm showing.  The beam can remain in the BIM Model as a Reference, no different from any other Reference. Then you can strategically locate and size the hole created by the beam - and changing location and size is easy peasy.  Just move and/or resize the beam.  

Message 13 of 14

A question. If I insert this square bar into the slab, shouldn't the slab cut, since I have "Cut with void when loaded" selected? But the cut command doesn't work.

Immagine 2023-03-01 175119.png

Message 14 of 14

Is there a VOID in the Family?  "Cuts with VOID when loaded". 

But why do you need Void? Just use JOIN Geometry Tool (in correct join order) to remove volume at the union.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators