Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing the top of walls

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1223 Views, 14 Replies

Closing the top of walls

I am trying to create a suspended bridge and I am currently working on part of the foundation on either bank. I am able to get the walls in the correct size, but I am unable to get the tops to seal off. I will attach the file. It seems like I should be putting a roof over that section, but I am not sure how to do that exactly. Can anyone help? I also need to add a roof shape to the top of one of the sections. The yellow and green part is what I need to add. Any ideas on that either?

lukewheelerEFLCY_0-1628088249668.png

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hard to  reconcile what I'm seeing in your Screenshot with what I'm seeing in your RVT.  Can you provide more info?  

Bridge.png 

...or perhaps you posted the wrong RVT? 

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Yes that does appear to be the wrong one. Let me try again.

Message 4 of 15
barthbradley

So, this is what I'm seeing when I compare your AutoCAD Top View with your Revit Top View:

Bridge1.pngBridge2.png

Get my drift? 

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

I don't think that I do. I tried closing it with a 0 degree roof but it gives me some sort of area. I then put a 1 degree room and it doesn't quite look right. I will upload the current file. I'm not sure if I am not viewing it in the correct manner or why I cannot see the correct lines on it and such. I will upload the file.

Message 6 of 15
ToanDN

Like this?

ToanDN_0-1628101943092.png

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

I want to seal between each layer and then the top of the smaller sections needs smaller pyramid shapes. Does that make sense?

Message 8 of 15
lucdoucet_msdl

@Anonymous 

First observation is there is unit based problem, you have modelled the walls of the abutment with 200mm thick generic wall families and the lowest most base is  32400mm wide (or 106' for the other 2 countries 😉 ).

Once you've corrected the overall dimensions, you will find that the angle will have a bigger effect on the thickness of the Revit floor slab that is simulating the grout.

But as the slope in your CAD screen capture, I would suggest you add sub elements and offset heights.

Hope this helps,

-luc

Message 9 of 15
lucdoucet_msdl

@Anonymous 

Something like this:

lucdoucet_msdl_0-1628111145916.png

-luc

Message 10 of 15

@Anonymous 

Added steel plates as floor slabs with steel material but you should also look into Revit structure anchor plates if you intend to model it as a structural project.

-luc

lucdoucet_msdl_0-1628111783534.png

Message 11 of 15
RDAOU

@Anonymous 

1. Add a floor >>>Single core layer set as Variable >>> Modify sub elements
  2. Add a Beam on top...concrete/steel/wood...whatever that is

RDAOU_1-1628113869532.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: lucdoucet_msdl

I am not sure what this means about the family having a different width. How does that work? 

Also I am not sure what the sub elements are? Sorry, I am very new to Revit. I am currently trying to figure it all out. I know how to pick the material of the wall, but how did you get the one that you made to look like that? I don't quite get how you did the top? I was thinking I would make guide lines on the fifth level and then make a roof that slants to that. Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Message 13 of 15
lucdoucet_msdl

@Anonymous 

I am not sure what this means about the family having a different width. How does that work? 

In my comment about units, I was trying to point out that the size of abutment is much too big (32400mm or 32,4m) relative to the thickness of your walls (200mm). While a 32,4m wide abutment is not unheard of, when comparing it to the section detail in your Original Posting (OP), I was assuming it was out of scale. Please confirm the approximate width of the bridge you are working on.

Also I am not sure what the sub elements are?

Sub elements allow you to take a floor element and give it slopes using points and break lines. More info here: Modify the Shape of a Roof or Structural Floor

I know how to pick the material of the wall, but how did you get the one that you made to look like that?

The wall infill and surface appearance is a fill pattern (the Revit equivalent to an Autocad Hatch pattern) that is in the material settings. I simply added a Stone pattern to the lower walls material section parameter and a concrete block pattern to the top walls material elevation parameter. More info here: Change the Graphics Properties of a Material

I don't quite get how you did the top?

The top in the middle is simply a revit floor with a constant thickness of 100mm and a concrete material. The tops on the pillars each side are a Revit floor with a variable thickness of minimum 10mm and sub-elements that increase the thickness around the steel anchor plate. See the help above on Modify the Shape of a Structural floor.

I was thinking I would make guide lines on the fifth level and then make a roof that slants to that. Am I on the right track?

There are several ways to model what you have shown us with the CAD cross section. While Revit names it's objects walls, floors, and roofs, you can also use generic masses, equipment, etc to give the same 3D appearance as required. This becomes important later when you need to document and revise the design of your project. So the choice of which way you want to model something will depend on what it needs to do later.

For example, you could make a 3d pyramid from a generic model family that you enter angles and distances to make the basic shape (not a beginner level!) rather than using a Revit floor family.

So to answer your question, for a Revit Floor family with modified subelements, a "guide line" or more appropriately a Revit Reference Plane, would probably be more complicated that manually placing the height and plan location of sub-elements.

Good luck,

-luc

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Ok I think that makes sense. I will try to get that to work. You are correct on the scaling of the abutment as well. Thank you for your help so far! While I am thinking about it, when I draw the guidelines on the lowest level, I can see it on the second level but I cannot see it on higher planes and I cant make the guide lines on the second or third and see it on the next level up. How could I go about making them so that I can see it on the upper levels?

Thanks!

Message 15 of 15
lucdoucet_msdl

@Anonymous 

We are starting to get somewhat off topic to your original post but I will answer anyways. Revit reference plans have a height and width that can be adjusted independently. When you create a reference plan in a plan view, you are giving it it's width dimension and the height is usually assigned according to the depth of view. To make this same reference plane go higher or lower, you need to find it in an elevation or section view and stretch it up/down with it's grips. This reference level will become visible in all plan views that intersect with the reference levels height.

Just for your information, the Autodesk Forum's FAQ asks that new questions be submitted separately in new postings so that it makes it easier to find solutions to problems stated in the titles.

Good luck,

-luc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Autodesk Design & Make Report