Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change multiple gridline marks to 2D and to side they show on at once

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
HVAC-Novice
574 Views, 21 Replies

change multiple gridline marks to 2D and to side they show on at once

when I create a new view, the grid line marks 90% of the time are on the wrong side and all the time still are in 3D. I have to select each grid line individually and check/uncheck to correct which side it shows, and have to change the grid line to 2D so I can adjust it just for that view (and not the actual grid line in 3D).

I tried to select multiple grid liens at once to make those changes, but can't find a way. Is there a way to do that for multiple grid lines efficiently? I also wonder if there is a way to set it where it defaults to. 

The same problem with levels in section views. but for some reason the problem annoys me more on floor and ceiling plans. 

Or is there a whole better overall approach? 

HVACNovice_0-1720023904386.png

Revit version: R2024.2.1
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
barthbradley
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

What do you mean by "create a new view"?  

Message 3 of 22
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: barthbradley

Like when I create a new view, I need to adjust the grid marks and grid extensions to what I want. Especially when I crop the view. 

for example, when I try to keep grid marks on top and left, for some reason the default always is the opposite. once once I adjust the crop size, I need to adjust the grid line extension. 

Message 4 of 22
barthbradley

Propagating Extents might help. Dunno. 

What would help me to help you is a step by step to reproduce what you are talking about.  

Message 5 of 22
HVAC-Novice

Here is the view when it gets created:  the bubles on the wrong side

HVACNovice_0-1720530217097.png

here is what I want:

HVACNovice_1-1720530361202.png

the problem is I have to select each grid line individually and change the checkmark for the bubbles. and the grid lines that are 3D, I need to change to 2D. 

Instead of doing that individually for each grid line, I want to select them all and do it once. or use some other simplification.

Message 6 of 22
azad.Nanva

if you use the hide/show bubble in the view so this work just in view

azadNanva_0-1720532568844.pngazadNanva_1-1720532594464.png

but you can use the Grid Properties and Plan View Symbole End 1,2

azadNanva_2-1720532691778.png

if you draw currect in first time in first view so that will be always good and currect.

Message 7 of 22
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: azad.Nanva

Thanks. When I change the setting in "type properties", it actually will change it for already existing views. and for some reason " end1" checked means it will default to top and right hand bubbles. " End2" will default to bottom and left. How would I default to top and right? 

I looked through a few plans we have from consultants to see what they usually do. all I learned is that it is all over the place and even in the same sheetset, some views differ which side the bubbles are. Some even show them on all 4 sides. 

I realize I have to change that per view, but how to change it for many grid lines at once? for example, I want to grab all horizontal grid lines and change the bubble from left to right. 

Message 8 of 22

use a scope box

Message 9 of 22

OK, creating the scope box and tying the grid lines to the scope box, converts them all to 2D. By default the bubbles are about 8' outside the scope box. this value seems to scale with scale to be 1" on the sheet. i didn't see where I could change it to make this 1" (on sheet) shorter. 

the crop region also seems to determine where the bubbles are. This also seems to be 8' (or 1" on sheet at that scale). is there a way to manipulate that value to maybe 1/2" or some other value? if I could control this with the crop region, that should work in most views. (I guess a crop region is a type of scope box)

Think that is a good start to batch-convert the grid lines to 2D

Message 10 of 22
azad.Nanva

@HVAC-Novice 

for your running project you can use the dynamo. what is your standard top-left or ?

Message 11 of 22
hubbardFJXGT

Does not help with your existing grids, But when you draw the grids, the first place you click is End 1 the second place you click is End 2. 
So draw your grids in the direction you want them to have bubbles and make sure your grid type has the bubble at the proper end. 
Also in the same type properties, you can set top or bottom for non plan views, and set the end segment length (to scale) for how far the grids extend from the crop
Scope boxes help with getting grids under control.
Levels have pretty much the same settings. 

Message 12 of 22
barthbradley

@HVAC-Novice : can you answer the very first question I asked?  What do you mean by "create a new view"?  What is the workflow?  

Message 13 of 22
HVAC-Novice

I just meant creating a floor or ceiling view

HVACNovice_0-1720541541766.png

Message 14 of 22
RSomppi

AFAIK, this is not possible. I've been doing it manually. 

Message 15 of 22
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: hubbardFJXGT

Actually I was able to change the direction of the grid line after the fact. It is the same method I use for reference planes when I have them upside down. I grab the one 3D bubble and move it beyond the opposite 3D bubble and the grid direction flips. The bubble also flips to the other side.

I found I have to set the " Center Segment" to custom to make the end Segment Length visible. 

HVACNovice_0-1720542371325.png

But it doesn't actually change the length (I set it to 1/4" instead of the 1" default). I even did a " reset to crop" .

Am I missing something? 

I noticed changing that value re-positions the little blue dot (2D handle?), but not the actual visible grid length

HVACNovice_1-1720543254150.png

Message 16 of 22
barthbradley

Something's fishy if "the grid line marks 90% of the time are on the wrong side".  I'm taking "wrong side" to mean that the Grid Heads are on the opposite side.  

Message 17 of 22
RSomppi

In MEP, the grids are usually copy/monitored so we are stuck with what we get. When creating views the bubbles seem to wind up opposite from the desired side, It's probably not that high of a percentage, though.

Message 18 of 22
hubbardFJXGT

They do not have to be Copy/monitored. You can draw them correctly and monitor them.

If you draw 1 grid in the right orientation, name it correctly (1,2,3, A,B,C) and copy or array them, Revit will number it in sequence and the bubbles will be on the correct end. You can then monitor to the linked Grid. 
Yes, that takes time at setup but will save you time later in the project when you make new views. 
All the above advice is still relevant. Use Scope boxes expand your grids to the entire project etc. 

Message 19 of 22
RSomppi
in reply to: hubbardFJXGT

@hubbardFJXGT wrote:

They do not have to be Copy/monitored.

Of course not but it is a very common practice.

Message 20 of 22
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: RSomppi

FWIW, in my situation at this point I don't have an architect to link a model from. so I can create grids any way I need. 

I'm not 100% sure what I want my standard to be since it seems all plans we have seem random regarding bubble placement. I discussed with someone in our office and top/left seems to be good since the first view aligns to top/left of a sheet. the " all 4 sides" has its merits if some grids don't bi-sect the entire building and a grid line only being relevant on the right, doesn't need to extent to the left. This all is subject to change as I use it in projects. 

I noticed another things to consider. if the scope box was not created in the lowest level, the grid wont' be visible below. So that scope box need to be created on the lowest level and have a height way above the top of the building. 

So, assuming I want my default to be Top/Left, my workflow would be as follows:

1. Change check properties "Plan view symbols End1" 

2. Draw grid lines from left to right and from top to bottom  (this ensures by default the bubbles top/left are activated)

3. Create a Scope box at lowest level encompassing the entire building footprint and the entire height

4. Assign all grid lines to that scope box (this ensures the grid lines are 2D)

5. Manually move the (locked to each other) 2D bubble points to where i want them (they always start out 1" from the crop region  

6. Manually enable the bottom/right bubbles if the view requires it

I think this is workable. The only major improvement I can see if I could change that default 1" of the bubble from the crop region since that is wasteful IMHO. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators