Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ceiling problems

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Base12
436 Views, 5 Replies

Ceiling problems

Hi, hopefully this won't be too tough, but I've been working on this for too long and going in circles.

Part-1:

This master bathroom needs a barrel vaulted ceiling, and it has a perpendicular one to the right as well, which needs to intersect cleanly.  I've used the "Ceiling by extrusion" to create the shapes, but when I join them together, the ceiling on the right mates to the main ceiling, but leaves the .. what? Tail? extending past the intersection arc.  How do I get rid of that?

Part-2:  I seemingly cannot assign a material, or apply "paint" to a ceiling-by-extrusion.  This model needs to be rendered and the default material/color for the ceiling is black, which won't do in a rendered view.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Part-3:

I can do this with roofs (by face, after making masses), but I can't get lights to host in the roof... if doing that is easier, then that can be my fast-work around.  Non-hosted lights would be very difficult here as they need to follow the curve of the ceiling.

Thanks!

Ceiling problems.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ToanDN
in reply to: Base12

1.  You can keep them as ceilings and use a barrel void to cut the part of the ceiling sticking out.

2.  Or you can use roof by faces and use face based light families, not ceiling based light families.

Message 3 of 6
Base12
in reply to: ToanDN

Can you briefly explain the "barrel void"? Sorry, this is the first time I've tried to make this type of ceiling.  I think that would solve my problems. <edit> I tried to make a void extrusion perpendicular to the offending ceiling portion, and extend it through the portion to cut out - but it didn't work.  Revit says "extrusion does not cut any objects", etc.  I tried it in both directions, with each ceiling, but got the same (zero) result

I figured out the material thing, so that part is ok.

Message 4 of 6
ToanDN

@Base12 wrote:

Can you briefly explain the "barrel void"? Sorry, this is the first time I've tried to make this type of ceiling.  I think that would solve my problems.  I figured out the material thing, so that part is ok.

Edit the in place ceiling and add two void extrusions: red one to cut the small ceiling; green one to cut the big ceiling.  And 'cut' means Cut geometry, the key is that you need to do the Cut Geometry when you are still in the in place model environment, when done finish the in place model.

ToanDN_0-1626744836481.png

ToanDN_1-1626744903868.png

Message 5 of 6
Base12

Ok, I figured it out.  When creating the void extrusion, it's not enough to just pass it through the other roof, you have to use the Cut tool and specify the void extrusion, and the roof.  Thanks for the help anyhow!  It got me in the right direction!

Message 6 of 6
ToanDN

@Base12 wrote:

Ok, I figured it out.  When creating the void extrusion, it's not enough to just pass it through the other roof, you have to use the Cut tool and specify the void extrusion, and the roof.  Thanks for the help anyhow!  It got me in the right direction!

See screencast.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/1c49511d-7acc-4c17-93a3-732893a678e9

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report