Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't copy 3D model to new revit file

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jessies2JUUJ
360 Views, 6 Replies

Can't copy 3D model to new revit file

I'm working in a Revit (2022) with many design options. I want to copy one of these options over to a new file so that I can work on it without disrupting the original setup. When I try to copy and paste aligned, all that copies is a line. Any advice on how to bring one model (from one of many design options) to a new file? Is there any way to "save selected" elements in an open revit to a completely new and unlinked revit file?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
barthbradley
in reply to: jessies2JUUJ

Group together the elements you want to copy, and save the group out of the project to its own RVT. 

...or just save the project to a new name and delete what you don't need from that copy. 

BTW: Copy/Paste is the worst way to do it.  

Message 3 of 7
jessies2JUUJ
in reply to: barthbradley

How do I save a group out of the project to it's own revit? What if I have multiple different groups that need to move? and if I have any elements that can't be grouped (stairs won't join the group for some reason), do I just have to model them again in the new revit?

Message 4 of 7
barthbradley

Here are group best practices.  Pay particular attention to bullet point Don't use attached relationships in groups.

About Best Practices for Groups | Revit | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Message 5 of 7
barthbradley

@jessies2JUUJ wrote:

How do I save a group out of the project to it's own revit? What if I have multiple different groups that need to move? and if I have any elements that can't be grouped (stairs won't join the group for some reason), do I just have to model them again in the new revit?

I would go with Plan B.  Save the project under a new name and then strip that project of content you don't need.  

In answer to your first question: right-click on the Model Group in Project Browser and look on the contextual drop-down menu. See "Save Group"? That's the magic button.  

Message 6 of 7
jessies2JUUJ
in reply to: barthbradley

Ok, thank you!

Message 7 of 7
ToanDN

Do a save as and accept the design option you want to keep. That would eliminate all other options you don't need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report