Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I TAG a REVIT LINK?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
10529 Views, 10 Replies

Can I TAG a REVIT LINK?

Can I TAG a REVIT LINK? 

I have several links in my main file and I would like to extract some information:

- height from the datum level,

- file name of that link (I have 3 different files multiply several times)

- name (that I have already named one by one in Properties > "name" > "identity data" putting a consecutive number) please help me!

SO I will have a schedule like that, that if I want to modify the height of an object in the space I can do it.....(or I wish I could...)

House n. (name) ----------  TYpe of house (file name of the link) ------------------- Finish Floor Level (height in the project)

1                                       TYPE A                                                                    + 23.000

2                                       TYPE A                                                                    + 24.350

3                                       TYPE C                                                                    + 22.350

4                                       TYPE B                                                                    + 21.300

Many thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Darin.Green
in reply to: Anonymous

You can tag information from the links as you could with the geometry in your active model. However, you can't extract file properties (file name) information I don't believe. 

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Darin.Green

Thanks but I don't believe that if I have some information in IDENTITY DATA of some object I can't extract it and putting in a TAG as a shared parameter... THe problem is that I'm not able to do that! 😞

Message 4 of 11

What you mean by "tagging" a link seems to be to put a name to the link (not put a tag family to tag the link). So, the answer is yes, you can put a name to a link. Simply click on the link and enter a value in the Name parameter.

You cannot make a schedule of links directlly, but you can do it indirectly, by scheduling something that is included in the links, such as "Levels" (for example). In the configuration of the schedule, at the lower left corner, activate "Include elements from links". Then, pass these two fields to the schedule: "RVT Link : Name" and "RVT Link : Name". Then, the schedule will show all the instances of the links, the file name and the "tag" (the value that you enter in the Name parameter).

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 11
Darin.Green

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks,
now I can extract my Links name finally! for tagging I meant the possibility to show on the section view and on the plan the file name and the name of the unit...that's hasn't been sorted....

Also...if I do a floor schedule the FFL of each floor (also if I put the tick to consider revit links) don't match with the survey point of the project but it gives the FFL of the slabs inside the revit link. it doesn't work also with level schedule. even if I reconciliate the link with the general layout.....
thx

Message 7 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

About your first question: as I said in my previous post, there is not a tag for Revit links available. It might be possible to create that with a custom tool (programming).

About the second question: are all the links set to the same shared coordinates? Are the levels in the links set to have the "Elelvation Base" (type property) set to "Survey point" ?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 8 of 11

@Alfredo_Medina wrote:

.... Then, pass these two fields to the schedule: "RVT Link : Name" and "RVT Link : Name". Then, the schedule will show all the instances of the links, the file name and the "tag" (the value that you enter in the Name parameter).

Correction to my previous post: the names of the parameters are "RVT Link : File Name" and "RVT Link : Name" .

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

This is not a solution.

No one answered the question.

Revit cannot tag links which is absurd.

Message 10 of 11
lucdoucet_msdl

@Anonymous 

- height from the datum level,

- file name of that link (I have 3 different files multiply several times)

- name (that I have already named one by one in Properties > "name" > "identity data" putting a consecutive number) please help me!

Rather than taggin the links, in Revit 2020 you can schedule them (which is closer to what you describe). The schedule/table of values can display the following:

File name = is the link "Type" parameter;

Name = is the link "Name" instance parameter;

Height from datum = not available.

While I understand that having the relative height of the linked file in a table is handy for coordination purposes, I would suggest that it is more useful to have a spot elevation on a site plan and/or on the main ground floor plan showing the project and topographic levels next to each other.

Hope this helps,

-luc

-luc

Message 11 of 11
j.muntz

Open linked model and place a room somewhere and create a room tag with the required parameter field ie room no. or building no. etc. (create the shared parameter as required).

Now open host model and re-load linked model and also load the room tag. Now you can tag the room with the required data. ensure the cut plane is cutting through the room. tip: use a plan region to adjust the cut plane or adjust the limit offset of the room in the linked model to extend above the roof level if wanting to tag the linked model in a site plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report