Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to learn Revit from scratch

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
70837 Views, 19 Replies

Best way to learn Revit from scratch

Hi,

Long time ACAD/ACA user. Ready to take the next step to BIM.

I'm looking for the best, quickest and most efficient way to learn Revit, from scratch!

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Cheers

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
firas007noori
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, there are lots of methods, if you are willing to pay, you can buy lots of online courses or books, but if you are self learner like me, I use Youtube, it has a serious amount of tutorials that you learn from, I think if you join the Autodesk Design Academy , you can get free access to CADLearning, they got lots of leaning material (Not sure exactly of how to get the free tickets, I got it really long time ago, but they usually give some free tickets from times to times)

Message 3 of 20
barthbradley

Practical or Theoretical? There are tons of resources available to read, but none of them will do the work for you. My suggestion is to dive in and take a project from concept to plan set; and along the way, find the information from these resources that are relevant and applicable to the task at hand.  Keep in mind, there is no fast-track here, and your learning will continue forever.  I've been at it for years now, and I'm still learning - and, as the years go on, re-learning stuff I had successfully done before. 

Good Luck to you. 

p.s. There is a Revit learning series published by SDC the instructs in this manner: through a whole project development. 

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

Being an ACA user is going to help big time...  You are familiar with wall types, windows and doors and everything else...  You know how to create elevations and sections and view callouts.  

Now for the mindblowing part...you are not creating separate dwg's for everything I just mentioned above!  Everything is live to the main model.  So if you modify something in an elevation or section it affects the model and plans etc...

Getting used to categories vs layers is a fun experience too.

Message 5 of 20
aaronwagner

If you're not a self-learner, you should:

1) Forget everything you know about AutoCAD; welcome to the world of not drafting

2) Seek out an Authorized Training Center in your area or online as mentioned

If you are a self-learner:

1) Forget everything you know about AutoCAD; welcome to the world of not drafting

2) Review the wealth of resources online as mentioned above (YouTube, CAD Learning)

3) Assemble a CD set of your home or another place that you know very well

In any event, if you're seriously devoted to learn, just do it, kick out the crutches and prepare yourself to the world of virtual construction.  Yes, there will be some drafting and likely 2D sheets, but that's not the focus anymore.  The less you try to make it work as AutoCAD did, the better off you'll be and the sooner you'll grasp the core workflows.

After you're comfortable with the basics, seek out knowledge on things like Level of Development (LOD), lifecycle data, and the like.  Don't let anyone tell you that you need to prepare and model everything, or answer any technical questions about the design you're not ready to on the first day.  As with design, it's a progressive, iterative process, and a decent project template and library go a long way to helping you augment your design as it evolves and matures.

Finally, ask ask ask... as you're apparently already discovered.  I like to think we're a good community, and while we may occasionally disagree, eventually we're all here to help.

Aaron Wagner | Technology Consultant – Autodesk Construction Business Line Lead

U.S. CAD | Achieve More
Rocky Mountain Region, Denver, CO
T: 877-648-7223 x301
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

I can tell you by my experience . I went through tons of videos in youtube , etc . The best way i found was through CADLEARNING , It´s complete , just make sure you download all the files ( templates) and use it as the classes requires , following the steps . 

You will really get it !!! 

Message 7 of 20
RobDraw
in reply to: aaronwagner

@aaronwagner wrote:

Forget everything you know about AutoCAD; welcome to the world of not drafting

Speaking of disagreeing, this is not true for anyone with architectural modeling experience. It can be true for the strictly 2D drafter but while Revit is not a drafting program, there is still a lot of drafting knowledge necessary in order to put out a quality set of documents and transferring that knowledge and/or settings to Revit is essential.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 20
aaronwagner
in reply to: RobDraw

While it's true a good background in drafting practices is valuable, hopefully those skills extend beyond AutoCAD and any other software. You absolutely should retain how to create a good set, and have an eye for graphic quality.

My point was those who hold on to AutoCAD, use it as a crutch, and try to use Revit as they did AutoCAD, do have a harder time adapting to Revit. I used AutoCAD for many years, after first learning how to produce a good drawing set by hand. When I started learning Revit, I completely stopped using AutoCAD. Its twilight was passed. You'll likely still need to produce a drawing set but don't think of Revit as an upgrade from AutoCAD. Totally different.

Aaron Wagner | Technology Consultant – Autodesk Construction Business Line Lead

U.S. CAD | Achieve More
Rocky Mountain Region, Denver, CO
T: 877-648-7223 x301
Message 9 of 20
Sahay_R

Also - don;t forget that 3D in Revit is VERY different and MUCH smarter than AutoCAD, Inventor (OK maybe not Inventor), or 3DS Max! Please make an effort to learn how to model intelligent parametric families in Revit instead of wondering why your old geometry form AutoCAD is not working, or how to make it work in Revit.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Download
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

Cad Learning video tutorials?
Message 12 of 20
bimscape

Click the link in my signature and start working your way through the schedule of videos. Ask any questions as needed.

Kind regards,
Ian

Author of The Complete Beginners' Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (free online course)
Message 13 of 20
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

Check this thread Best Revit book and Learning Resources

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question. Likes welcome!

Regards,

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: bimscape

Ian:

Your online course is wonderful, the accompanying manual stellar! The pace is perfect: I was able to learn while following along with Revit open on my second screen. the course price is more than reasonable.

Thank you so much for what this course and manual did for my career! I now posses the theoretical and practical knowledge of Revit at both Revit manager and Revit production levels. Now, it's just a matter of time and experience.

Sincerely,

Susan Tancraitor

CAD and BIM Manager!

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

I think you can do it from scratch, going the self-taught route. Myself, being a long time AutoCAD used did struggle trying to teach myself. I was all over the place with the videos and training materials. Even Lynda.com had me going in circles. I eventually had to give in and pay for a few courses. That kind of set me on the right path as far as what to learn as well as when, meaning starting from the beginning and not jumping in to complex stuff to early. I now can use the on-line training stuff a little more efficiently. When I took formal training courses, I was surprised what I missed trying to train myself. Everyone is different, and I am still in the very early training phase. So I would say dive in on your own, and if it's not working for you taking some classes.

Jim

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: firas007noori

I am civil engineering student. I want to learn myself. Please provide revit YouTube channel link or any video source.  

Message 17 of 20
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

Please check Best Revit book and Learning Resources for a bunch of resources.

Subscribe to Autodesk Education on youtube for basic learning videos.

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question. Likes welcome!

Regards,

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

I have 1.5 years experience with Revit. I didn't do much modelling. Just revising existing models. I do have experience with the interface. I feel like I am intermediate. Most of the Revit coursework I have seen is really basic and does not give proper insight into using it professionally. I do have a few Autocad drawing sets as a structural engineer drafter. I'd like to learn how to put this CAD set into Revit or Revit Structural. What resources, specifically can I learn to do this?

Message 19 of 20
hugenostrils
in reply to: bimscape

I opted to pay an incredibly reasonable fee for the course (for ease of access). It is an excellent course for a beginner, taking everything slowly and methodically. You will quickly become competent at most things and can find some of the more esoteric bits on Youtube. Have found 'Balkan architect' on Youtube is good for particular things but I think doing this course first would set you up.
Message 20 of 20
jmhanbyV4TDM

I found the best way to learn Revit is to just do a project and learn as you go.  If you run into a problem, search sites like this for solutions to the problem you are having.  I learned a lot from doing this and the forums at revitcity.com.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report