Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Fill Pattern Alignment

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2048 Views, 7 Replies

Background Fill Pattern Alignment

So I am trying to figure this out for my office. I love that now in Revit 2019 you can do a background and foreground fill pattern, but I am not loving the alignment issues it creates. My office does a lot of schools and they need to show the support for an ACT ceiling as one set of lines behind the actual ACT pattern. The background lines need to hit the every 12" in the middle of a 24"x48" ceiling grid. Is this possible? I am having a really difficult time doing this with the background being a drafting fill pattern. Would be nice to have more functionality with this since it seems very limited to just patterns that don't really mean anything in terms of alignment.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbcarch
in reply to: Anonymous

Make it a model pattern and then you can adjust it easily.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: cbcarch

The background pattern can't be a model pattern. And I just talked to the team and it's 24"x48" panels that are broken up into 6" planks on each panel. So it's 3 planks per panel. They are trying to show the texture of the panels while showing where each new panel starts. 

Message 4 of 8
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

need to show the support for an ACT ceiling as one set of lines behind the actual ACT pattern.

If the supports are behind the panels, why not model them then.  Maybe a beam system? You could then align the ACT model pattern in relationship to the supports, and forget about background pattern.    

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

I misspoke. I was putting 2 different applications together. They want to see the pattern on the tiles. The Red lines in the picture is the pattern in the foreground and the blue is where we want the background pattern to line up. I just want to get the alignment to work like that.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I can almost make it work, but nothing seems to make the orientation of the background pattern change. Like, I wish there was a way to change where a drafting pattern started. I have the orientation set to the host, but it seems like the pattern starts in the center or something since on both the top and bottom of the ceiling, the pattern isn't correct. It should be 6" between each pink line, but it starts out at 4" for the first one. That doesn't seem like it's oriented to the host. Seems like no matter what I do, the background pattern will only change if you move the ceiling on the page.

Message 7 of 8
ToanDN

Create Parts from the ceiling and assign a different material to the Parts.  Set the view to show Both Original and Parts then you have both patterns.  May have to play with transparency a bit but in theory it should work.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Genius! Haha that's a fantastic idea. I will tell them to do that. The reason why we are concerned about the 2 ceilings is that we send our model off to the contractor at project milestones and they use it for material cost calculations. But this will work wonderfully.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report