Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Array in Family. Distance, count, start & end points all vary

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
doni49
31394 Views, 10 Replies

Array in Family. Distance, count, start & end points all vary

I am working on a new family in Revit 2013.

I need to put an array in the family and the spacing, count, start and end points all need to be controlled by parameters.  I'm attaching a small schematic showing what I mean.

I want to array the small rectangle (circled in orange) the start point and end points will be the short reference lines --they're located via the dimensions that are marked in Green and labeled as Param 2.

I know how to vary the count by the param -- but as soon as I change the overall width (param 1) or the param 2 value, the array'd elements don't move relative to the reference lines. 

Edit:  Yes, the rectangular shape is in a family that's been nested in this one.  When I placed it, I locked it to the ref line it's currently centered on.  But when I change the params, the other items don't line up right (I've deleted them from this view).

TIA!RevitArrayParams.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: doni49

Arrays can be controlled by the length of the array or by the number of items. In this case, the number of items (n)  drives the length of the array.

5-31-2013 8-23-14 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 11
doni49
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo,

Thanks for the reply.  I was afraid the answer was going to be "not possible".

I was HOPING that there was a way to lock the start/end points of the array to the two reference lines.  The reference lines ARE moving the way I want them and if I could lock the start/end points, I'd be all set.

Oh well.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

Yes, the end point and start point of the array do move out or in.

The first and last item of the array must be aligned and locked to the reference planes.

By the way, why do you say reference lines? These are reference planes.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 5 of 11
doni49

@Alfredo_Medina wrote:

By the way, why do you say reference lines? These are reference planes

Because I used reference LINES.  Notice in my original image that they're solid and yours are dashed.

And after posting my previous reply, on a whim, I tried locking the last item in the array (I had already locked the first one) and it's now working the way I want.

I'm going to post it here in case someone else is searching for a way to do this.

It's an overhead door with a varying number of windows and the door height/width varies as well.

EDIT:  I was going to post it but then I decided to flex it one more time and found that changing one param causes it to NOT flex.  I'll have to research the cause of that and post it later.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

You should use reference planes for this, not reference lines.

Message 7 of 11
doni49

I've never really understood when to use one vs the other.

P.S. I really didn't see the need to view them in elevation -- just in plan view.  That was the only difference I could find.

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 11
doni49

@doni49 wrote:

I've never really understood when to use one vs the other.

P.S. I really didn't see the need to view them in elevation -- just in plan view.  That was the only difference I could find.

I found a link that explains the difference between Ref Line & Plane.

http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2006/03/once-upon-reference-plane.html

Attached is my overhead door.

As of right now, the number of sections is hard coded at 7 and the windows are always in the 5th section up from the bottom.  But that should be easy to change and I intend to do so when I get a chance.

The number and size of windows, height, width and thickness of the door are all controlled by parameters.

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 11
doni49

@doni49 wrote:

As of right now, the number of sections is hard coded at 7 and the windows are always in the 5th section up from the bottom.  But that should be easy to change and I intend to do so when I get a chance.

Well I had some unexpected free time this afternoon.  So I went ahead and got it updated.

In addtion to the parameter control that was previously included, I added two parameters to control the size of the the panels:  Panel Height Min & Panel Height Max.  Then I added another parameter:  Approx Window Elev.  It's approx only because it puts the windows as close to the specified elevation as possible based on the size of the panels.

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I can only make the panel width vary with some constant louvers spacing by having the formula for the number of Louvers to be the louvers width (panel width - 250mm )divide by the spacing. but in the case that the width cant be divide nicely. then the spacing will slightly differ from what i want. (For example, if the panel width is 1000mm, while spacing is 80mm. the formula will turn out to give me 9 louvers with 90mm c/c spacing) I need to have the constant spacing. All the leftover dimension should go to start and end as shown in photo. Can anyone help on how to set the formula?Capture.PNG

Tags (2)
Message 11 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Try this 2018 family see if can gives you any hints.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report