Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angled top baluster family

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
drenL5229
416 Views, 7 Replies

Angled top baluster family

Hi all,

I am trying to create a baluster family that has an angled top. Not an angled top because of the slope but because I want to have a leaning cap that is angled towards the pedestrian. I am having trouble with having it attach properly to the railing so I am having to manually adjust the offset (top offset) and I just don't like it. It actually is not working properly even when manually moving it. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. please see a picture to better understand what I am trying to do.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: drenL5229

When you say "I am having trouble with having it attach properly to the railing", what do you mean?

Have you tried different positions of the slanted line at the top in relation to the "Top of Post" reference plane in the family? For example, if the midpoint of that line is intersecting the top of post reference plane, you get some results. If not, you get other results.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8
ToanDN

Share your family here.

Message 4 of 8
drenL5229
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN @Alfredo_Medina ,

I am replying here for both if that is okay; will attach the family tomorrow since I can't at the moment but hopefully this helps.

I played with the profiles having them on top of the (Rail top reference line) or below but with no luck. I am not quite understanding which plane the baluster is using as a cut plane, since I can select which railing to use as the top attachment.

Also, I am a bit confused what (Top of post and Top reference lines on the baluster family mean). 

drenL5229_0-1695246181289.png

drenL5229_1-1695246246849.png

The pic below is the item 2 in the list above.

drenL5229_2-1695246366143.png

This is item 1 on the list (Cedar cap)

drenL5229_3-1695246425088.png

Let me know if that helps to better understand. Another thing that I can't think of on how to achieve is if we have a plate at the bottom of the stanchion, how can we make it follow the slope of the path? See below:

drenL5229_4-1695246844401.png

Message 5 of 8
drenL5229
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

@ToanDN @Alfredo_Medina ,

Please see attached a picture to better explain my problem.

As you can see the baluster is angled as is the cap to which I want the baluster to be extended to. In blue is the line which is perfectly aligned with the bottom of the cap and the top of baluster but I want them to be touching each other but for some reason because how the profile family is setup it is now allowing me. I played with offsets of balusters with no luck, it just extended the top of the baluster past the cap itself!

Let me know if you need anything else. I appreciate your time!

Message 6 of 8
barthbradley

Post your file.  

Message 7 of 8
ToanDN

1. You just need to create a void in the baluster family that sloped in both directions. 

2. You also need at top rail using a sloped profile to match.

Message 8 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

To make the base follow the slope of a stair or ramp, you need to model the base plate it in the baluster template that contains angles for slope. You can do it as a workplane-based family. Nest it into the baluster family, and place it and host it on the slanted reference plane. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report