Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjust Level Line Offset from crop Region by scale or custom settings

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
edanastas
3233 Views, 21 Replies

Adjust Level Line Offset from crop Region by scale or custom settings

Untitled_Clipping_062018_114335_AM.jpg

Is there a way to control the Level head offset from the crop region of the view. I'm constantly moving these levels out on sections and floor plans.

This would be awesome to be able to control with a default offset or at least if Autodesk doesn't want to give this control up (why, I don't know), then change the offset depending on the scale.

Let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Edward

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
barthbradley
in reply to: edanastas
Message 3 of 22
edanastas
in reply to: barthbradley

I've used scope boxes quite regularly but that would not solve the issue. Let me try to clarify... If you refer to my screenshot, you will see how the level titles cross over into the drawing. When dealing with large projects it's not an efficient use of time to constantly have to adjust the 2D extents of these level heads when it can be a simple default global parameter.

for example... I would like the level heads to automatically be placed a set page dimension outside of the crop region, such as 6" or 3". This could be a type parameter within the level head family or it could be a single global parameter for the project. I'm showing a section example, but this would apply to plan as well. The parameter exists in Revit, it just doesn't seem to be available for us to customize.

Is there a way of adjusting this parameter?

Message 4 of 22
barthbradley

@edanastas wrote:

...The parameter exists in Revit, it just doesn't seem to be available for us to customize.

Is there a way of adjusting this parameter?

What parameter are you referring to? 

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

he said 

"for example... I would like the level heads to automatically be placed a set page dimension outside of the crop region, such as 6" or 3". This could be a type parameter within the level head family or it could be a single global parameter for the project. I'm showing a section example, but this would apply to plan as well. The parameter exists in Revit, it just doesn't seem to be available for us to customize."

Message 6 of 22
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous: I appreciate your participation and acknowledge the "re-tweet", but I have no idea what you're pointing out to me. I am asking @edanastas what parameter he is referring to when he says: "the parameter exists in Revit, it just doesn't seem to be available for us to customize. Is there a way of adjusting this parameter?"  

What parameter are we talking about?  That's my question.  

Message 7 of 22
edanastas

By "Parameter" I'm referring to the value that defines where it get's placed now by default. It consistently get's placed at a certain distance from the crop region. That distance has to be defined somewhere within the program. It's just not available for the users to set or change.

Message 8 of 22
loboarch

The distance of a level head (or grid head for that matter) is offset from the edge of a crop region is a hard coded value. You can change it by manually dragging, but you can't make it smaller or set a larger distance for the "offset from crop" by default. This value is set at the programmatic level and not accessible to the user.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 9 of 22
barthbradley
in reply to: loboarch

...and where it's placed is dependent on the scale of the view.  

Message 10 of 22
loboarch

@barthbradley wrote:

...and where it's placed is dependent on the scale of the view.  

Kind of....The distance is an annotation based value, so it is always the same distance from the crop edge to the end point when printed, say 1" away will always be 1" away when on a sheet.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 11 of 22
barthbradley

@loboarch: Actually, this thread just became more interesting. I wonder whether the bubble head could just be offset a certain distance from the Origin Ref. Plane in the family, and then draw a "level" line between the bubble head and Origin Ref Plane.  That line would connect with the other  "level" line that Revit automatically creates.  What do you think? 

...1, Black, Grid Line 1/2" Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 22
ToanDN

What if you have the labels on the other side on a different view?
Message 13 of 22
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN wrote:
What if you have the labels on the other side on a different view?

Answer: a cross between an elephant and a rhino.  Smiley Wink  

Message 14 of 22
cbcarch

Read the whole thread here.

I still think a Scope Box is the best method for globally controlling Grids and Levels.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 15 of 22
edanastas
in reply to: cbcarch

Yes, I think we all agree the scope box is the best way to control this (at least with multi-level buildings), but it doesn't control the offset of the level heads from the scope box (view) crop region.

Message 16 of 22
edanastas

ok, so why not. we want control of it. We have for a long time. It would really help everyone out.

Message 17 of 22
edanastas

That last comment was in response to this....

"Kind of....The distance is an annotation based value, so it is always the same distance from the crop edge to the end point when printed, say 1" away will always be 1" away when on a sheet."

So is there a way to edit that value in the "hard" code at least?

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous

totally agree with the OP

Similarly I spend ages manually dragging these elements as the scope box crop is quite generous

As the size of the graphics are different for each, and maybe the offset is different for each , maybe this could be done via a parameter in each of the respective families to give finer control.

Message 19 of 22
edanastas

In response to 

Message 20 of 22
mes
Explorer

Why not place your text on the other side of the level head? I know the section is opposite yours, but it mirrors on the other side. Not saying that a parameter to control default gaps for levels and grids isn't needed, but in my opinion it is too big and not to small.Level head.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report