Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a wall fin

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
PhilvK
1308 Views, 3 Replies

Adding a wall fin

I am trying create a 12” long by 16” “fin” at the intersection of 2 walls (these are the masonry dimensions). The walls are stacked, the bottom 6’ of which are brick on 8” cmu, and the tops are stucco on 8” cmu. The sketches and keynotes below hopefully explain the issue and the problems I am encountering. The numbered notes are keyed to the sketches

1. These are the base walls forming the corner where the fin needs to go. There is a precast stone cap sweep at the top of the 6’ portion of the wall.
  2. This is the fin I want to join to the base walls as shown by the dashed red lines at “1”. The walls are the same stacked walls as at “1”, but without the interior finish.
  3. I was successful in extending the fin walls to the base walls, but a section of the stone cap sweep is extending into the “fin”. See below for the plan and 3D of this condition.
  4. I can reduce the fin masonry dimension down to 1’-1” without any issues except as noted in “3” above”, but when I try to reduce the 1’-1” to 1’-0” I get the error message “Could not create integral wall sweep for wall instance. Failed to cut wall”.

Can anyone suggest a way to get around, and correct these issues? Am I setting things up incorrectly? Sketches are below, and my file is attached.

A secondary question: how do I get temporary dimensions to appear so I can change them? I had to select the walls to move them.

Thank you  in advance for taking the time to look at this.

Thanks,

Phil

Fin Components.jpg

Cap 1.JPG

Cap 3.JPGcap 2.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
PhilvK
in reply to: PhilvK

Here is the RVT file associated with my original post.

Message 3 of 4
PhilvK
in reply to: sky247_app

Thanks for looking at this. I had to go way back to find what project the original post was related to, but I did find it and played around with it. It definitely is something to do with the sill being extending to the outer wall. It doesn't stop and wrap like layers do where the wall turns corner. I know what to do if the detail comes up again. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 4
vaspozadre
in reply to: sky247_app

Based on the information you have provided, it appears that the stone cap sweep is causing issues with the fin walls due to their intersection. To resolve this issue, one solution could be adjusting the position of the stone cap sweep so that it does not intersect with the fin walls. Alternatively, you may need to modify the fin walls to avoid intersecting with the stone cap sweep.

Regarding your secondary question, to display temporary dimensions in your CAD software, you may need to enable a setting or tool. Usually, you can enable temporary dimensions by selecting an object and hovering your mouse over it. The temporary dimensions will appear near the object, allowing you to adjust the dimensions as needed.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report