Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Component - Angle to Drive Geometery

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
aguterHFKHP
1181 Views, 16 Replies

Adaptive Component - Angle to Drive Geometery

I have been working on an adaptive component (I am new to these) that works well in the adaptive component family editor, but when loaded into the project, acts very differently.

The parameter in question is the angle parameter, which measures the angle created between (3) adaptive points.

post1.PNG

post2.PNG

In the family editor, this parameter flexes and updates nicely and is used to drive more geometry for the family, but when loaded into a revit project, it does not update based on the angle created between the points. I have tried making this parameter a instance, reporting parameter, but it appears that those cannot be used in formulas to drive more geometry.

In the image below, you can see that the angle created between points 1,2 and 3 is more closer to 45 degrees, revit will not automatically update this parameter for me.

post3.PNG
Any ideas on how to solve this? Family attached.

Labels (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
aguterHFKHP
in reply to: aguterHFKHP

After some reading on reporting parameters and angles in the adaptive component family, it seems like the angle parameter is not the best way to achieve the family I had in mind.

I have setup the law of cosines and able to calculate the internal angle more consistently now.

https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/use-of-reporting-parameters-in-formulas/256

Message 3 of 17
barthbradley

Yeah, kind of "pointless" with Adaptive Points. Best your Angle Parameter might do in this case, is be a Reporting Parameter.  

Angle Report.png

Message 4 of 17
ToanDN

I think you are treating an adaptive family like a non-adaptive family.  The main benefit of an adaptive family is using placement of adaptive points to drive the geometry.  If you forgo that benefit and instead using a parameter to control the location of the adaptive points then you might as well be using a non-adaptive family.

Message 5 of 17
aguterHFKHP
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN, is there another family type (other than adaptive) you had in mind that could achieve what I am looking for?

Main goal with is to have the user select (3) points and then create a polyline that connects point 1,2, and 3 to each other, with the linking line segment 1-2 and 2-3 being an arc that gets calculated based on the angle between the points.

Message 6 of 17
ToanDN

If you choose to pick 3 points to place the family then yes an adaptive family with 3 adaptive points is correct.  In this case, the angle is driven (reported) by where you pick those points.  But from what you described, it's like you only need to pick 2 points, let the 3rd fall free, then enter the angle to control where the 3rd point finally located.  If that is the case then you can still use an adaptive family but with only 2 adaptive points, one reference non adaptive point, and a control angle. Kind of a hybrid family.  Nevertheless, looks like you got it figured out with the cosin method, so be it 

Message 7 of 17
aguterHFKHP

Thanks to everyone for the help. 
Below is a gif the family in action, I am using the adaptive component to create the minimum bend radius for rebar.

Does anyone know if autodesk has any plans to make an adaptive detail component family? This family would be a lot more useful for me if it was a detail component.

aguterHFKHP_0-1642629750578.gif

Message 8 of 17
barthbradley

They kind of do already.  Sketch Free Form Rebar.  

Message 9 of 17
ToanDN

You can do the same with a normal detail component family.
Message 10 of 17
aguterHFKHP

@ToanDN, What type of family did you have in mind? I want to prompt the user for (3) points and have them select as shown, I do not want to have to do an angle type parameter to drive the family.

Message 11 of 17
aguterHFKHP
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley, That's a good point, I have not really played with the rebar tools in revit yet.

Message 12 of 17
ToanDN

@aguterHFKHP wrote:

@ToanDN, What type of family did you have in mind? I want to prompt the user for (3) points and have them select as shown, I do not want to have to do an angle type parameter to drive the family.

I watched the gif and you entering the angle values to change the shape and I thought you wanted to do just that.  So what you show is NOT what you want?

Message 13 of 17
aguterHFKHP

There is no entering of angles in the gif that I linked. The family dynamically changes based on the point location. The angle parameters are calculated based on the location of the adaptive points.

Message 14 of 17
ToanDN

@aguterHFKHP wrote:

There is no entering of angles in the gif that I linked. The family dynamically changes based on the point location. The angle parameters are calculated based on the location of the adaptive points.

My bad.  Watched it again from the computer and I see what you did.  I would use Rebar tool.  If you don't get what you need from the Rebar browser then you can sketch it.

ToanDN_1-1642632378564.png

ToanDN_0-1642632330569.png

Message 15 of 17
aguterHFKHP

****, I just want that free form rebar tool as a detail component!

We are not to the point yet of modelling rebar. I just want an easy, dynamic rebar tool in a drafting view.

Message 16 of 17
barthbradley

A 2D drafting view?  Why are you using adaptive points to drive 3D geometry then? 

Message 17 of 17
aguterHFKHP
in reply to: barthbradley

This was more of a fun project to see I could make a dynamic rebar family. The adaptive component does not achieve what I was looking for; that being a 2d rebar detail component.

maybe autodesk will someday make an adaptive detail component family type...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report