Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D model text showing border and center lines in elevation

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1182 Views, 14 Replies

3D model text showing border and center lines in elevation

We have some signage that is modeled with 3D Model Text, and recently we've noticed that there are extra lines around the border and through the center lines of the model text.  Is there a parameter or a checkbox in the Visibility/Graphics dialog that I'm not seeing to turn these off? I've audited the file which hasn't helped.  It's in Arial, and switching to different fonts or model text type doesn't make a difference.  These lines do not show up in 3D views, but you can see these invisible planes when you highlight it.  Any ideas what's up?

in elevationsin elevations

in 3D views, can only see planes when highlightedin 3D views, can only see planes when highlighted

We're using Revit 2017.2.2.

20170816_0615(x64)

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Viveka_CD
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Can you update to Revit 2017.2.3 and see if there is any difference?

To make sure that the issue you are seeing is not something already fixed in one of the product updates, I would suggest checking the Desktop App to see if there are any Revit updates available. For information on using the Desktop App see the following article: About the Autodesk Desktop App

Note: If you are not able to download updates through the Desktop App, the following article has information on downloading updates through the Autodesk Accounts page:

Install Updates, Add-ons, and Enhancements

Regards,

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Viveka_CD

@Viveka_CD, thank you for the advice but updating to 2017.2.3 has not resolved the issue.

Message 4 of 15
barthbradley

"Panino" is singular. "Panini" is plural. So, you don't need the "s".  

That help? Smiley Wink

Okay, seriously...two questions: 1) what's hosting the model text, and 2) is wireframe turned off. 

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Haha, TIL I guess!

The model text is hosted to a wall and wireframe is turned off.  The lines show in any elevations these signs are present, regardless of visual style.

Message 6 of 15
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

You can make the lines of an object less prominent or invisible by using the Linework tool.

Can you try the solution in this article HERE?

Let me know if this helps.

Regards.

Message 7 of 15
barthbradley

You say: "in 3D views, can only see planes when highlighted".  Does this me you see no "planes" when NOT highlighted? By "planes", you mean those lines; right?

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

That worked, thanks!  I always forget about that tool...

So is the problem likely just a bug/glitch in the file? I tried the opposite in a new file (making the border/centerlines visible with the linework tool) but I can't make them appear. Mostly I'm curious if someone on our team might've turned them on somehow.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

You are correct, @barthbradley.  No lines/planes show when the model text is unselected in a 3D view, the lines/planes only appear when it's selected.

Message 10 of 15
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

You are correct, @barthbradley.  No lines/planes show when the model text is unselected in a 3D view, the lines/planes only appear when it's selected.

Well then, I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time). if @Viveka_CD's solution worked, then there must be line work visible in the view for you to be able to select and change with the line work tool. But, it sounds like the lines are only visible when the text is selected.  Also, the line work tool is view specific, so it's not going to apply the line work globally. Or, am I reading this all wrong? 

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

No I think you're understanding this all correctly.  I brought up how it looked in 3D in case that helped diagnose the issue, but it was the elevations where the signage was appearing with all the extra lines. I'm confused by how I'm not able to replicate this in a new file (either from our company template or from a completely blank file with no template), so it seems like a glitch in this specific project file.  That's my guess for now anyway.

Message 12 of 15
barthbradley

Thanks. I agree with your assessment too. I have had "unreplicable" issues before. What scares me most in those cases, is wondering if it's systemic of a larger issue within the project -- one that will come back to "bite me in the buttoch" later down the road. 

Message 13 of 15
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

Glad to hear that worked, but I'm still unsure why this occurs. Can you share a file to test further?

I can send a private folder if you'd like.

Thanks,

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

@Viveka_CD, a private folder please, thanks!

Message 15 of 15
Viveka_CD

Hi there @Anonymous

I've shared a private folder with you to upload your files. Let me know if you have trouble accessing the folder.

Looking forward to your reply update.

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators