Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Cad to Revit

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
811 Views, 12 Replies

3D Cad to Revit

Hi,

I'm having a really hard time exporting 3D CAD duct geometry into Revit, because it always comes out as a 2D drawing. I've tried importing into a mass or into a family and the results are the same: geometry which is 3D in CAD shows up as 2D in Revit. Obviously I would not like to remodel all of the HVAC ductwork and am wondering if there is something obvious that I should be doing in the export process that I'm missing.

Does anyone have a step by step that works for them?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can try to export the CAD files to SAT and after importing the sat file to Revit. 

Moreover, I'm wondering what software do you use to create you ducts and HVAC?

Hope this helps!

Lucian

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't look like my AutoCAD 2015 has the option to export to SAT. I can export to 3D dwfx but then when I go to import in Revit, revit will not import a dwfx file!

I actually am working with a file I received from a subcontractor and they appear to 3D ducts created in AutoCAD, but I'm not sure exactly what their process is.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Do you have a lite version of Autocad?

If not, check the video below to see how to access more export formats. Is made using Autocad 2014 but I doubt the options aren't anymore in 2015.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/67e52466-0230-415a-b448-2e50af339b7b

Regards,

Lucian

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Ah! I found it 🙂

The only issue I have now is that when I go to export the SAT file, and I select the geometry I get a message that says "No Solids, regions or ShapeManager bodies selected". I'm not sure what that means.

Maybe it's simply not meant to be, but it's ridiculous that it should be this hard.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

I'm curious what kind of elements you have in your file. Can you share your dwg, or just some elements of it?

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Attached!

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Maybe it was never created in 3D in the first place. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Possibly, but then why does it show up as a 3D object when I turn the view screen around in AutoCAD?
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

It seems that your sub-contractor has used a kind of add-in/extension for Autocad to create the ducts. 

I think will be good to find out the name of the application in order to see if there is an Object enabler for. I had the same problem with ASD from Autodesk and I was able to solve it by installing an Object enabler.

Regards,

Lucian

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks! I will look into it.
Message 12 of 13
David_W_Koch

@Anonymous wrote:

Attached!

That file was created in AutoCAD MEP [AMEP].  I have not ever tried to bring a file with AEC Ducts into Revit.  I know that the Walls, Doors and Windows created in AutoCAD Architecture are ignored by Revit.  That may also be the case with AMEP Duct Objects.  If you have the Building Design Suite Premium or Ultimate, you could open the files in AMEP and either export them to AutoCAD from a "3D" view or create an IFC file and then link the exported DWG or the IFC file.  I have not tried any of those methods to be able to tell you whether one is better than the other.

Perhaps someone else in the community who has experience with this process can provide additional information.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Not sure this will help as I am not personally viewing your problem. I used to model HVAC systems for a sub contractor.

Usually I would just save as dxf.  If that did not work then there is always the option to export as IFC ....... There is always "NavisWorks Freedom" or "TEKLA Bimsite " . TEKLA BIM will accept all ifc files . I am pretty sure NavisWorks Freedom will accept your dxf.  I know when you export to IFC you need to turn on only the layers in 3d and turn off and freeze (maybe overkill) all other layers....... There is always a way. Stay cool. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report