Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit View Range Interface Improvement - Vote on 3 ideas, then add your own

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
631 Views, 6 Replies

Revit View Range Interface Improvement - Vote on 3 ideas, then add your own

I think the View Range Interface need improvement. There are several good visual references, but it is still not intuitive enough or user-friendly enough.

I will start "#" numbering 'problems' with "Fix:" improvements that Austodesk could make. Please 'vote', comment/critique, or offer new suggestions in the same "#" + "Fix:" approach.  I will try to add them to a running list. I'll also post this on several forums with the hope to have some small impact on the Autodesk Revit development team.  Clear as concrete? Ok, here we go...

----------------------------------------------------

REVIT VIEW RANGE INTERFACE IMPROVEMENT

#1: In the Revit View Range Dialogue Box, why is "Associated Level" spelled out? Since the box size is fixed (see #2) 16 characters is way too many.

#1 Fix: Shorten it to "Level" (6 characters) since it is implied that it is an association.  Only if Autodesk thinks 'Associated' need to be clearly defined, it should be abbreviate it to "Assoc.Lvl.", or "Assoc.Level"

#2: Why is the Revit View Range Dialogue Box size locked?

#2 Fix: Unlock the Revit View Range Dialogue Box grab and size capability 

#3: Why isn't a visual aide included to the left of the Revit View Range Dialogue Box?

#3 Fix: Add a graphic or a miniature elevation clip to the left side of the box, like there is for a Wall Preview.

That's my 3, please vote or comment, and/or and let me know if you have any more to add.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ollikat
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Garyebeck

Actually my reply is not targeted to you, but to ADSK forum admins instead.

This is again another example of posts that are put into the API forum instead somewhere it would belong. I don't blame the authors of these posts. I think the problem is that there isn't suitable forum (category) for general Revit questions! There's own category for arch, struct and, MEP but no place for generic Revit questions. I'm pretty sure that people who put these questions here doesn't have a clue what API stands for and think that maybe it's best to write here instead of discipline specific forums.

So...I would suggest adding new category for generic Revit (platform) discussions. Then we would see less these inappropriate posts in here API forum. Thanks.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

To me API stands for Application Programming Interface which, again, to me means the interface between the program and an operator.
My comment or request for improvement applies to the basic Revit program and is not isolated to Architectural, Structural, and MEP/Systems.

Gary Beck, P.E., SECB, LEED AP
T.D.I. Windstorm Program Engineer
City of Houston Approved Agency for Special Inspection
Eco-Holdings LLC (F-7395) 4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd. Suite 114 Houston, Texas 77025
Email: gbeck@texasengineer.com Office: 713-377-4209 Fax: 832-201-5338 Cell: 713-530-1950
Visit us at www.TexasEngineer.comfor your Structural and Civil Engineering needs
~All Eco emails and attachments are confidential. If it was not sent to or copied directly to you for work purposes, please delete it~
Message 4 of 7
ollikat

Well...not quite I'm afraid (whether I understand the "operator" correctly).

API does mean "Application Programming Interface", but in this context it says that this forum is intended for questions coming from 3rd party programmers / developers creating add-ins for Revit platform using the API. The Revit API provides a programming interface to develope these plugins.

I wish there would be an appropriate forum for general Revit questions, like this one. Although there's always a risk that the "general" becomes kind of a dump pit too.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ollikat

I remain interested interested in seeing this improved / fixed.
Message 6 of 7
StephenPreston

@Anonymous -

ollikat is correct that API refers to 'Application Programming Interface', which has a very specific meaning on this discussion group as the functions Revit exposes to enable programmers to write add-ins that extend Revit functionality and/or integrate Revit with other software systems. This forum is intended for discussions between those programmers, and so questions or requests about Revit end-user (operator) functionality will not be seen by the people you want it to be seen by. Because there have been several replies to this thread already, I'm not going to move the entire thread to another forum. Instead, please repost your question in one of the forums intended for discussion by Revit users (operators). If your question is about the generic Revit product, I'd suggest you post your question to the Revit Architecture forum and mention in your post that the quesiton is not just for Revit Architecture.

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience or confusion caused by the naming structure of the forums.

@ollikat -

Jeremy forwarded the email you sent to him with your suggestions for forum enhancements - thank you for those - we'll definitely review those next time the forums are due for an update. However, its not clear to me that there is a significant problem with 'off-topic' posts in the Revit API forum. We get a few posts in every forum that would have been better directed to a different forum, but that is the nature of an informal discussion forum - different people interpret categories in the context of their own experience, and sometimes read different meanings into those categories than was intended. When this happens, you can easily ask our forum moderator team to move the post (for example) by emailing moderators@autodesk.com. If you believe this is a significant problem on this forum, then I'd be interested to see the data you have. my email address is stephen 'dot' preston 'at' autodesk 'dot' com.

Thank you as well for your kindness in helping so many people on this forum by giving up your time to answer their questions. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Stephen Preston
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 7 of 7
ollikat
in reply to: StephenPreston

Thank you @StephenPreston for your profound answer.

I don't think either that there would be a significant problem with off-topic posts. I also totally agree what you said about categories interpreted by people in different ways. I just wanted to give this suggestion because I'm pretty convinced what causes inrelated stuff coming into this particular forum. But not a major problem in any sens.

Have a great start of the year 2015!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report