Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Addin file locations for production Release and Test/Debug

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
epogue
14667 Views, 8 Replies

Revit Addin file locations for production Release and Test/Debug

Where  is the  appropriate file installation locations for Release and Test/Debug Revit Addin components? 

I have noticed a variety of locations where Revit Addin components are deployed for Release and Test/Debug purposes. For example, the  Hello World sample for Revit 2017 recommends installing "HelloWorld.addin" to "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2017\" whereas the Addin Wizard generates a script that automatically loads the "*.addin" file to "C:\UserName\AppData\roaming\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2017/".

I have also noticed that  the official release addin installation programs that I have historically gotten back from the Autodesk Revit team seem to install *.Addin, *.dll, and other supporting files in numerous locations depending on:

* Revit version(s) supported

* All users vs. current user installation

* Roaming profiles vs. non-roaming profiles

* Version of Windows (?)

* Possibly other criteria

First, is  there documentation that describes how this should be done for commercial products. Note that I would prefer to do my own Revit Addin installation in the  future.

Second, in the specific example of installing a  Addin for Revit 2017 running on Windows 10 for the  current user only without roaming where would I install the production components (myaddin.addin, myaddin.dll, myaddindependent.dll)? Can I utilize the location for the .addin file for Test and Debug? I assume that  I will need to point the myaddin*.addin file to the Debug version of the myaddin.dll file in order to Debug?

Regards,

Eric 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jeremytammik
in reply to: epogue

Dear Eric,

The official documentation for this can be found in the Revit API developer guide:

Revit online help

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU

Developers

Revit API Developers Guide

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-F0A122E0-E556-4D0D-9D0F-7E72A9315A42

Introduction

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-C574D4C8-B6D2-4E45-93A5-7E35B7E289BE

Add-In Integration

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-4BE74935-A15C-4536-BD9C-7778766CE392

Add-in Registration

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-4FFDB03E-6936-417C-9772-8FC258A261F7

Here is some additional documentation on additional undocumented add-in folder paths (please excuse the pseudo-pun):

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2016/02/bim-360-docs-add-in-folders-stallman-and-the-abc-co...

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 9
nachikethan_s

Hi Eric,

I can understand your concern of noticing a variety of locations where Revit Add-in components are deployed, it has a reason for it. Let me explain a bit...

1)  Location: %AppData%\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\<year>- This location is for per-user only, and it is recommended for per-user specific applications.

2) Location: %ProgramData%\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\<year> - This location is for multiple users, so all the users can have access to the application.

Few apps are placed in Program Files too depending on the need.

In the Autodesk App Store, we normally recommend below paths for the addin.

%ProgramData%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins (for multiple users) and %AppData%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins (for per user) in order to use these paths you need to use the bundle format. Wherein the addin and its dependent files are stored in a bundle folder, Autodesk Revit autoloads the addin module based on the entries in the PackageContents.xml file placed in the bundle folder. You can refer to ppt (from slide No.6 onward) for bundle format.

You can utilize these locations for Testing and Debugging, and yes you can point to the myaddin*.addin file to the Debug version of the myaddin.dll file in order to Debug.

If you need any help on the bundle format, please feel free to email@ appsubmissions@autodesk.com

Message 4 of 9

Thank you very much for sharing this important additional information.

I captured it for future reference in The Building Coder blog as well:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2018/10/revit-add-in-locations-and-bim360-eu.html#4

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 5 of 9
mastjaso

Why would you deploy your addins anywhere for testing / debugging and why would it be different than production?

I don't deploy my addins anywhere while I'm developing / testing / debugging them. I just leave them in their "bin\debug" folder where they build to, and point the addin manager at that folder. Debugging / testing / developing without using the addin manager is just a monumental waste of time constantly closing and reopening Revit, imho.

It doesn't test your ribbon buttons, but I typically just ignore those until the end, and then do some testing with the full installer on a fresh VM that mimics our standard users as if it was being deployed to a production environment. And in those tests I test the installer, general user experience, and ribbon buttons / revit startup.

I also always code my addins to use the per user Appdata folder and think that most people should generally be doing the same thing. In my mind no application should be requiring admin privileges unless it *actually* needs them to run, Revit Addins included, and the vast vast vast majority should only require user privileges.

Message 6 of 9
nachikethan_s
in reply to: mastjaso

Just my thoughts, why we need to have admin privileges. 

Big Firms will not recommend any installation without admin privileges, most IT companies will not give admin access to the employees to prevent unwanted malware attack/security reasons. Hence placing the addin in programdata with admin rights will enable the IT to install the application once to support all users. I have experienced many companies restricting usage of good plugins, just because they don't have admin privileges.

Message 7 of 9
abianes
in reply to: nachikethan_s

Hi @nachikethan_s

As mentioned in your post, would you be able to elaborate on what needs a company may have that leads them to place their Addins in the Program Files folder? 

Thanks in advance!

Message 8 of 9
mastjaso
in reply to: abianes

An incompetent IT department. 

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 9
nachikethan_s
in reply to: abianes

Hi @abianes 

\Program Files\ is trusted by default, the unsigned add-in residing in this location will not display a security warning.
Few publishers utilize this location to treat the addin as trusted.
The custom installers provided by the publisher for Autodesk App Store which are utilizing Program Files location need to make sure the custom installers / dll are digitally signed.

Also, consider below necessities while submitting a custom installer:

• The installer should take care of installation and uninstallation properly. i.e. uninstallation should remove the files completely. And also, it should uninstall the older version and install the newer version whenever a new version is installed.
  • Provide the administration rights for the installer.    

Note: Autodesk App Store will not use the %PROGRAMFILES% location to create an installer for third-party apps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community