Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retain IFC information after it is linked, bounded, and ungrouped in Revit

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
391 Views, 1 Reply

Retain IFC information after it is linked, bounded, and ungrouped in Revit

Hi, 

I have done the following:

1) Insert an IFC link in a blank Revit file

2) Bind the link

3) Ungroup the link

The above process in manual and results in a Revit file. Let's call it Final_IFC.rvt.

Every IFC file is associated with some data like the owner history and the timestamp. I need to retain this information when I process the Final_IFC.rvt file through the Revit API. So, is it possible to retain the information after a link is bonded and ungrouped? 

To view the information like the timestamp, open any .ifc file in any text editor. You will be able to see something like this :

FILE_NAME('C:\\Users\\ABC\\Desktop\\ENGPr\\20190125 ENGPr Level 2 v2.ifc','2019-01-25T17:23:51',('John.Smith'),('',''),'','AutoCAD Architecture 2017 - English','');

This has the file name, the user who exported it and the timestamp, and the software from which the file was exported. Will this information be retained in the resultant Revit file after the above-stated process?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jeremytammik
in reply to: Anonymous

I think you will have to try this out yourself to answer all the details.

Here are some experiences I made linking in an IFC file to access its rooms and spaces:

https://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2019/02/link-in-and-analyse-ifc-file-zones-and-spaces.html

The best place to discuss IFC issues in more depth is the open source IFC forum:

https://sourceforge.net/p/ifcexporter/discussion/general

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report