Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving project server

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
366 Views, 4 Replies

Moving project server

My office is upgrading servers, increased space and added security. I've been told that because of the way Revit works, and manages, its central file, that all projects will need to be opened, detached from central, and then resaved as a central file. This is because the file path is directly linked the server, "\\file-1", instead of the name of the drive, "(A:)" for example. Because of this, once the update occurs, because of the way it's pathed, users will actually be opening the central model, and not a local. So to prohibit this, we are assigning project leaders to manually recreate their central, and then also "reload from" all links, because they too will be linking to an out of date file path. I was told it's embedded in the binary file. Where is this file saved? And can we just edit the file itself? It's literally changing the number 1 to a number 3. I'm not entirely sure what to search, but this seems unnecessarily complex. We can't be the first firm to change servers. If this is posted in the wrong forum, apologies. Let me know if it's unclear what I'm getting at. Thank you much. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 3 of 5
matthew_taylor

Hi,

It is possible to do this quickly and simply via the API (using TransmissionData), that negates having to re-open the models at all.

If you have someone capable of creating the app, you will be up and running quite quickly. Otherwise it may be worth hiring someone to do so.

( http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2011/12/finding-a-development-partner.html )

Cheers,

-Matt

Cheers,

-Matt

is this not an API issue? i thought it was...

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: matthew_taylor

thank you! i'll pass it on to our BIM/IT guys; i've never had this issue at another firm, so i was very surprised to learn this. hopefully this helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report