Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load family directly to document

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
455 Views, 2 Replies

Load family directly to document

It is possible to load family directly to the current document without first saving it to a file. Looking at the api for loadFamilies and it only takes in a filename as a parameter. I'm working a plugin that allows only authenticated users to download and load families. I don't want these users distributing the families to other revit users without them first authenticating. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Sean_Page
in reply to: Anonymous

I have heard folks talk about web delivery or even embedding the families into the Resource of the application like icons, but once you have loaded them into a model, you won't be able to control them from there.

Message 3 of 3
BenoitE&A
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

As mentionned in the comment above, I don't think you can keep the property of families in Revit (unlike other softwares like PDMS). Indeed each time you import a family symbol in a document Revit makes a local copy in your Document of this symbol. And this symbol can not be protected.

Many architects tried and none succeeded. 

One friend of mine created a blueprint in all families, ie a hidden parameter that can not be modified except by code (Revit plugin). So that you can check a file of another architect to check if the young architect that he hired from you has taken your Families. But still, I don't think you will go far with this (juridically).

Benoit FAVRE
CEO of etudes & automates
www.etudesetautomates.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Rail Community