Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue on Revit 2021 with assembly protections and addin loading

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dev
Contributor
1380 Views, 7 Replies

Issue on Revit 2021 with assembly protections and addin loading

In my company, we use this product https://www.eziriz.com/dotnet_reactor.htm to protect the source code and avoid tampering.

Starting with Revit 2021 we get a "Null reference exception" somewhere between the call of the constructor for the IExternalApplication implementation and the call of OnStartup().

It seems it is because we use the following feature:

Anti ILDASM/Suppress Decompilation
-suppressildasm [1/0] Enable this option to suppress disassembly to IL using the ildasm.exe tool. Even if this option it set to FALSE your source code is still secure!
[1] = Enable {default}
[0] = Disable

Can someones give me an explanation why this happens in Revit 2021 and works fine for the older products?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
RPTHOMAS108
in reply to: dev

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.runtime.compilerservices.suppressildasmattribute?...

Perhaps the late attachment of this attribute above is interfering with the attributes used by the API that specify regeneration mode etc? Could perhaps attach manually as above so see if that helps.

Note that most decompiles probably use reflection or some other means so setting this attribute seems like more hindrance than help i.e. the attribute is something that ildasm reads and respects whilst other decompilers don't have to. Have also a vague awareness that resulting bit flag of this can be adjusted in the assembly directly so that it can actually be decompiled.

Message 3 of 8
BIM.Frankliang

Dear Friend,

I usually use configuration below in Eziriz:

-necrobit 1 -necrobit_comp 1 -suppressildasm 1 -obfuscation 0 -mapping_file 0 -antitamp 1 -stringencryption 1 -resourceencryption 1 -control_flow_obfuscation 1 -flow_level 9

Maybe -suppressildasm is not the reason, decrease flow level step by step may be helpful.

And I strongly remind that Eziriz has already been decrypted by De4dot ( an open source decomplier).  After I tried many encryption tools, I recommend the "dotnet protector" created by PVLog.

Wish it could be helpful for you 🙂

Best Regards

Frank Liang

0.png

Message 4 of 8
jeremytammik

The development team have indeed identified a problem in this area.

The good news: 

The problem is fixed in the next major release of Revit.

The associated development ticket REVIT-160709 has also been nominated for merging into an update release of Revit 2021.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 5 of 8
dev
Contributor
in reply to: BIM.Frankliang

Thanks for the information about De4dot , I will take this into consideration.

Message 6 of 8
jeremytammik

Thank you for your appreciation.

The development added some background information to the ticket REVIT-160709 [RVTPR-00662: AddinManager Error for Obfuscated Add-ins] which on one hand is pretty obvious, on the other may point the way to an effective workaround for some cases:

I can confirm that the fix that was submitted to dev last week is complete. The null check on version string submitted last week is the only fix needed and we should be good.

The `TypeLoadException` issue on the customer add-in can be explained as below. I can reproduce this on a fresh add-in using the `.NET Reactor` obfuscation tool.

Revit Addins register class names for `IExternalCommand`, `IExternalCommandAvailability` `IExternalApplication` etc. as a string. For example

PushButton pushButton = ribbonPanel.AddItem(
    new PushButtonData("MyButton", "Button",
    Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location,
    "MyNamespace.MyCommandClass") as PushButton;

Revit then looks up `"MyNamespace.MyCommandClass"` in the assembly dll using `System.Reflection`. This all works well in an regular (unobfuscated) addin, for `public` as well as `internal` class `"MyNamespace.MyCommandClass"`.

If we run the `".NET Reactor"` obfuscation tool on the above code as is, it also works for both `public` as well as `internal` class `"MyNamespace.MyCommandClass"`. For a public class `"MyNamespace.MyCommandClass"`, the obfuscator will keep the same class name and its reference in the above code will also be retained as is. If the class `"MyNamespace.MyCommandClass"` was `internal`, then the obfuscation tool will mangle the class name and correctly fix the reference above in the `PushButtonData` constructor. It will fix the reference as long as it can find the string `"MyNamespace.MyCommandClass"` as is.

So far so good.

However, in a case where the class `"MyNamespace.MyCommandClass"` is `internal` and the class name is broken like this (and there could be valid reasons to be doing this or similar):

string str1 = "MyNamespace";
  string str2 = "MyCommandClass";
  PushButton pushButton = ribbonPanel.AddItem(
    new PushButtonData("MyButton", "Button",
    Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location,
    str1 + str2) as PushButton;

In such a case, the obfuscation tool will fail to connect the dots. Revit will end up looking for "MyNamespace.MyCommandClass", but the `internal` class would have been named as something else. To avoid this, one could either provide the full class name as is `"MyNamespace.MyCommandClass"` or make the class be public.

We shall merge the original fix to an update release of Revit 2021 as well.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 7 of 8
RPTHOMAS108
in reply to: jeremytammik

Not sure if '.Net Reactor' respects the standard obfuscation attributes such as below. There is probably an option to do so or not. Some obfuscators will rename both type and method regardless, to avoid this I generally use the following attribute on classes implementing IExternalApplication, IExternalCommand etc. 

<System.Reflection.Obfuscation(ApplyToMembers:=True, Exclude:=True)> 

The good thing about this attribute rather than obfuscator settings is that it stays with the source code.

Message 8 of 8
jeremytammik
in reply to: RPTHOMAS108

This was fixed in the update release Revit 2021.1.

Can you please confirm that the fix solves the problem?

Thank you!

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community