Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a tee fitting of not 90 degree branch angle for pipe by Revit API?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
5049 Views, 18 Replies

How to create a tee fitting of not 90 degree branch angle for pipe by Revit API?

Hi,

When I use Revit ribbon drawing function, it is easy to create a tee fitting of any branch angle for pipe. 

QQ截图20181129171929.png

But when using NewTeeFitting method to do it, if the angle of branch is not 90 degree, then an InvalidOperationException throw. How can I create a tee fitting of not 90 degree branch angle for pipe by Revit API?

Best Regards,

Zhangzg

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
JimJia
in reply to: Anonymous

The failure may be caused by default fitting type after tee fitting creation, you can try to change the default fitting type to appropriate & desired fitting type.  

Per my knowledge, the default fitting type is determined by routing preferences setting of pipe/duct/cabletray(you can refer to Revit SDK sample RoutingPreferenceTools on more details.), but I have no idea why it fail. 

In order to explore this matter further, we will need to provide a minimal reproducible case for the development team to analyse in depth.

In order to understand exactly what you mean and be able to research possible reasons for the discrepancy between the observed and expected behaviour, they require:
· A short exact description of what you are trying to achieve.
· The behavior you observe versus what you expect, and why this is a problem.
· A complete yet minimal Revit sample model to run a test in.
· A complete yet minimal macro embedded in the sample model or Visual Studio solution with add-in manifest that can be compiled, loaded, run and debugged with a single click to analyse its behavior live in the sample model.
· Detailed step-by-step instructions for reproducing the issue, e.g. which element to pick, what command to launch etc.
· http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/about-the-author.html#1b

Jim Jia
Autodesk Forge Evangelist
https://forge.autodesk.com
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network
Email: Jim.Jia@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: JimJia

Hi  

Best Regards,

Message 4 of 19
JimJia

Dear Zhigang,

Yet another point we have to consider is: please ensure the connector order is correct when calling NewTeeFitting API, you can find the connectors order in the family editing document.

Jim Jia
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

Hi  

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 19
JimJia

Dear Zhigang,

Can you provide a reproducible case for it? I can help to forward this to engineering team to investigate.

Jim Jia
Message 7 of 19
adam.krug

Maybe it's a problem of units? 90 degree is 1,5707963267949 (0,5 * PI) in Revit internal units.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

Hi  

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: adam.krug

Hi adam

Thank you for your reply.

I am sure I have used the correct angle units. When the angle is 90 degree, it is OK; but When the angle is not 90 degree,  for example 45 degree, it failed.

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 19
Shai.Nguyen

I have same issued. Do you have solution?

Message 11 of 19
jlpgy

Hi Zhang:

There is a property named as Angle in the class Connector. It has both get and set accessors.

U can calculate an valid angle value, disconnect the Tee slave element (pipe, etc.), set the Connector.Angle property to a new value, and then connect the Tee connector back to the slave pipe again.

U can use RevitLookup to inspect the Angle property before you get down to writing codes.

Notice that:

When you try to re-connect the Tee to the pipe again, you can use Connector.ConnectTo(), but this method sometimes leads to generation error when dealing with Conduit. For my own experience, I suggest using NewTransitionFitting() method. If two connectors are parallel, in opposite directions, with same sizes, and with same self-rotation, the NewTransitionFitting() method doesn't create a real transition fitting, but only connect two connectors.

I hope this helps.  🙂

单身狗;代码狗;健身狗;jolinpiggy@hotmail.com
Message 12 of 19
Shai.Nguyen
in reply to: jlpgy

Dear Yulong,

Following my understand, I have to take 3 step to create tee fitting with angle.

Step 1: Create tee with valid angle

step1.PNG

Step 2: Modify angle to parallel with slave pipe.step2.PNG

Step 3: Extend the pipe by NewTransitionFitting()

step3.PNG

But I'm stuck at step 1, how to create tee fitting with 2 connectors?

Message 13 of 19
Revitalizer
in reply to: Shai.Nguyen

Hi,

you could create a dummy pipe which provides a valid third connector.

After creating your tee, delete this dummy pipe.

Revitalizer

Rudolf Honke
Software Developer
Mensch und Maschine

Message 14 of 19
Shai.Nguyen
in reply to: Revitalizer

wonderful idea! I will try thanks so much!

Message 15 of 19
jlpgy

Hi:

Yep! As @Revitalizer has already explained.

In our solution, we also create a perpendicular MEPCurve element with the same qualifications as the main Tee element. This temp element provide the third connector.

Be aware that you should calculate the cross point ahead to meke sure the Tee fitting will be located at the correct location.

Message 16 of 19
Shai.Nguyen
in reply to: jlpgy

@Revitalizer@jlpgy

Hi both,

After calculate the side of dummy and create NewTeeFitting, I've met 2 situations, that I don't know what's the correct Angle I have to set to connector.angle:

Case 1: set 45 degree to Angle

th1.PNG

Case 2: or 135?

th2.PNGBoth 2 case are correct. But I dont know how to find correct one.

Please advise. Thank you.

Message 17 of 19
jlpgy

Hi:

It depends on the implementation of the Tee fitting family.

Suggest you double click the Tee fitting to open it's family document, and then check the angle parameter and inspect how it is bound to other parameters.

If you are using the default Revit libraries, and the default pipe fittings, I think it should be the angle between the connector3 and connector1. But I'm not quite sure. It totally depends on how the Tee fitting family is implemented, especially its parameter binding.

Message 18 of 19

Hi,

I am having similar issues dealing with the angle of a Wye that i would like to insert in place of a Tee.

For my test i simply used the out of the box TEE and renamed it as a Wye, and tried to replace it using NewTeeFitting, but first i set my preferences to pick up the Wye family as default and not the Tee family.

i posted this here : https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/replace-a-family-instance-with-another-family-based-o...

Do you mind commenting on my code in the link above and give me some pointer on how you ended up dealing with it?

thanks

Message 19 of 19
tom.zhengGNS4G

Have any of you tried connecting pipes with slopes to TeeFittings with angles? I have successfully implemented TeeFittings with angles using the aforementioned method. However, when attempting to connect pipes with slopes, I encountered a slight issue. The pipes connect successfully, and the slopes are correct. However, visually on the drawing, the pipe appears to be broken (it automatically connects when moving the TeeFitting). I have tried various methods and found that changing the pipe slope seems to cause this issue. I would like to understand why this problem is occurring. Below is my connection method: I use "PlumbingUtils.BreakCurve" to cut the main pipe -> generate a pipe perpendicular to the main pipe -> use "NewTeeFitting" to connect the main pipe with the previous pipe -> delete the perpendicular pipe -> change the angle of the TeeFitting -> connect the branch pipe.

Pink represents pipes with slopes, while gray represents pipes without slopes.
Pink represents pipes with slopes, while gray represents pipes without slopes.Pink represents pipes with slopes, while gray represents pipes without slopes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community