Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half of Revit have changed language

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1043 Views, 9 Replies

Half of Revit have changed language

When I imported a rvt file to my project. All materials and some of the menus have now changed to Spanish. I prefer not having to learn a new language so how do I get all back to English?  In settings it is still English chosen. Is this a bug or what is the function of suddenly half the software change language?
Revit-Spanish.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
yimin.chenTW
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Try this:

Right click on your Revit shortcut on your desktop and choose "Properties"

At the end of target cell, set "/language ENU"

You can replace ENU to other languages you like e.g. CHT for Chinese Traditional or JPN for Japanese.

20_x_20_09-53-28.jpg

Yimin Chen
Developer Consultant
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: yimin.chenTW

Thanks for the tip.
But I tried that already. It was ENU as it is supposed to be.
This must be something else. Revit-ENU.jpg

Message 4 of 10
jeremytammik

Every Revit database element has a name.

You apparently imported a Spanish model.

The elements it contains apparently have Spanish names.

A solution might be to rename all the elements appropriately.

By the way, are you doing anything programmatically yourself, or just using the standard Revit user interface?

If you are not doing anything programmatically, this is not the best place to ask such a question.

Please note that this discussion forum is dedicated to programming Revit using the Revit API.

Therefore, you cannot expect an answer to a question such as yours relating to installation, product usage or end user support issues here.

You should try one of the non-API Revit product support discussion forums instead for that:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/this-forum-is-for-revit-api-programming-questions-not...

The people there are much better equipped to answer your question than us programming nerds.

If you are doing it programmatically, please be aware that the Revit API hardly ever supports any functionality that is not also available in the user interface.

Therefore, if the UI does not support this, the API will probably not do so either.

So, it will always help to research the optimal manual approach to a solution first, before attacking the task programmatically.

I hope this clarifies.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jeremytammik

Thank you for answer.

I imported one rvt file. Is that supposed to change menu content in revit? It was a surveyor file for a property. 

As a student I have no idea of how to go in and change words in menus of Revit. I am not sure that is such a good idea either. 

As a software tester in general I would say that it might even be a design flaw that a single file can without user interaction change menu language. Is this a designed function or a bug?

I am not a programmer but as a student I am not allowed to do bug reporting. Or posting things where it might be more suitable. This was one of the few places where I was allowed to post. I am sorry if it is at the wrong place but maybe Autodesk should allow students to ask in the correct place? Preferably I would ask anyone close in real life but since this issue is outside my surroundings knowledge level, and this is the way out to fix this. 

I also have found a UI bug that is very annoying but like this issue I can't report that bug either.  I think Autodesk can do better in this area. After all Students are your future customers. Or can be if treated correctly.

Message 6 of 10
jeremytammik

Well, as said above, this forum is dedicated exclusively to Revit API programming, so the topics you raise are out of scope and beyond my competence to discuss. You will probably find better support and audience for those issues in the more general Revit Architecture forum. Sorry I cannot help you more. Good luck!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 7 of 10
Eatonasher
in reply to: jeremytammik

I would argue that this IS, in fact, a question for this forum, considering that it is a question about the user interface and the I/O of files? I've having the same issue, where Revit 2024 changes the language of existing assets/tags/materials to the language of an imported detail or hatch, without any way to correct it.

Again, since this is an issue of Revit's labguage automatically changing in response to a filetype saved in a different language, I believe this would fall under the purview of API questions, would it not? I understand this is not third-party app development, but nobody else is more capable/qualified at rooting out the issue of what's going on than developer support such as yourself.

If not, I apologise, and then request that @autodesk  create additional forum topics so that there is a category this type of question would fall under, since this category - in its insufficiency - is still the most relevant. That and add a way for posters to change the Forum a question is asked in after posting.

Eatonasher_0-1717435068256.png

Eatonasher_1-1717435141027.png

I haven't imported any materials, only those two stone/gravel hatches highlighted above, yet a whole bunch of settings have changed. Any ideas on who I can change the language settings of the affected categories and then change how Revit responds when importing other objects so this doesn't happen again?

Thank you in advance.

Message 8 of 10
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: Eatonasher

Well, I still think this is a pure UI issue better addressed by product support. You are apparently not doing anything programmatically yourself using the Revit API, so why try to address this question in the Revit API discussion forum? Anyway, I asked the development team for advice for you.

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 9 of 10

And with import You mean Copy + Paste from another model?

Depending what you copied or from which view, Revit copies along much more to keep settings of the copied items as equal to the original. But it won't (normally) overwrite types already defined in the model copied to.

So most likely elements with foreign language are being copied over into you're model, material and their used patterns will come along (depending on the source material)

This kind of questions can best be asked in the Revit Architecture Forum as they have the most experience with the Revit UI, in the first post from 2019, it was clearly visible that Type names were in another language the UI itself not.

And Revit doen't change the name given to Typenames (of User families) when changing the Revit UI language.

Things that do change on a Revit UI Language change:

- System Family name itself (for instance "Basic Wall" will be named different)

- Category Names themself, (for instance "Walls")

But a Basic Wall named "Bricks" won't change it's name.

Message 10 of 10
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: Eatonasher

Here is what the development team suggest:  Revit doesn't have an "Import RVT" functionality but I can see this effect when opening a Spanish RVT in English Revit, for example. All the examples I see are user-controlled names. For example, the Spanish template includes materials as seen in the screenshots. They are not localizable names known to Revit. Similarly, in the project browser, I see things like "Floor Plans (Plano de planta)" -- this is because the browser organization is by default set to show by Family and Type and the Type of the plan views is "Plano de planta" -- this too is a user-controlled name in the RVT model rather than a localizable name known to Revit. If Revit were to provide localizable names, then it also means users couldn't customize things like their plan view type names or material names, so that's ultimately why this happens. Do things like the ribbon panel or parameter names for built-in Revit parameters continue to show up in Spanish?

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Rail Community