Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback Requested on Open-Source Revit API Sample Browser

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
christopher_digginsUG2AU
303 Views, 4 Replies

Feedback Requested on Open-Source Revit API Sample Browser

I do a fair amount of development using the Revit API. For my own reference, and to test some other plug-ins I am developing, I aggregated all of the Revit C# SDK Sample into a single project. I provided a simple UI so that each of the Commands and Applications can be launched by double clicking on the names. Selecting an items load the associated readme file in a rich text edit box. I've posted the code to Github here: https://github.com/ara3d/revit-sample-browser. I haven't had time to test all of the samples, but it seems to be working. I'd appreciate any feedback!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Dear Christopher, 

This looks like an absolutely brilliant project and a great piece of work. Thank you ever so much for picking it up, tackling and sharing it. Are you aware of my own RvtSamples project, as aged and old-fashioned as many of the SDK samples? It also enables launching all the Revit SDK external commands, but implements a much more primitive UI and provides no built-in access to the sample documentation. Your Revit Sample Browser would deserve to be immediately integrated into the official SDK samples, to replace the old RvtSamples application. Tricky to get the Revit development team to do that, though...

Thank you also for your private email message and your very kind appreciation.

Best regards

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 3 of 5

Oh, oh, oh! You support external applications as well as external commands! Great job!

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 4 of 5

>> This looks like an absolutely brilliant project and a great piece of work

Thank you so much Jeremy for the kind words, it means a lot to me! I also appreciate you jumping-in and contributing some improvements already. 

>>  Are you aware of my own RvtSamples project, 

To be honest, no I wasn't. There are so many samples, I haven't yet tested or even read through them all. 

>>  Your Revit Sample Browser would deserve to be immediately integrated into the official SDK samples, to replace the old RvtSamples application. Tricky to get the Revit development team to do that, though...

That is nice to hear, but I understand it probably wouldn't happen. The idea of merging everything together as a single project might not be feasible for them. Being independent allows me freedom to take some liberties (e.g., deleting all the VB samples, and a couple of the samples that depended on plug-ins) and I don't have to meet the same quality bar that they do when shipping code. 

That said, it would be nice if the Revit team was able to take some time to reduce code duplication, and modernize some of the C# code throughout the samples. Maybe I should suggest it on the Idea forum?

Thanks again, 

Message 5 of 5

Maybe I should suggest it on the Idea forum?

Yes, absolutely, good idea!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community