Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting a named reference plane from FamilyInstance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
harilalmn
273 Views, 4 Replies

Extracting a named reference plane from FamilyInstance

Dear All,
I have been struggling to extract a particular reference plane named "Aligned". I need to create a plane that is at exact orientation of the reference plane inside the FamilyInstance. I used the GetReferenceByName() method, as follows;

FamilyInstance familyInstance = doc.GetElement
(
uiDoc.Selection.PickObject(
Autodesk.Revit.UI.Selection.ObjectType.Element,
new FamilyInstanceFilter(),
"Select a family instance")
) as FamilyInstance;

Reference alignReference = familyInstance.GetReferenceByName("Aligned");

I saw several posts with solutions here, for creating dimensions using the GetReferenceByName(), but could not find one with solution to extract the plane.

How to do this?

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: harilalmn

The plane exists only in the family definition, so I doubt that you will be able to access it without opening your RFA, e.g., using EditFamily.

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 3 of 5
RPTHOMAS108
in reply to: harilalmn

Is the reference plane you are looking for set to 'Not a Reference' in family? Otherwise according to RevitAPI.chm (as I understand it) it should be able to find it.

Message 4 of 5
harilalmn
in reply to: RPTHOMAS108

I am able to find the reference...

Here is the scenario. I have several families which when placed in project, are to be aligned to some walls. Each family has a reference plane named "Aligned". When placing, this reference plane has to align with the given wall, as if we do manual align in revit using "AL" shortcut. 

Message 5 of 5
harilalmn
in reply to: jeremy_tammik

SmartSelect_20231016_133822_Samsung Notes.jpg

Above shown is what I try to achieve...

I have several families and each family has different orientation for this reference plane. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Rail Community