Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch converting all parameters to Shared parameter

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
daniel.astorino
229 Views, 3 Replies

Batch converting all parameters to Shared parameter

Hello I am new to Revit and looking for some advice. I have many .rfa files that are filled with family parameters. For every parameter, as shown in the screenshot below, I want to:

• Change the Parameter type from Family to Shared
  • Change Parameter Data from Type to Instance
  • Set Group Parameter Under: Data

Unless I am missing something, from my research it seems the best way to do this would be to delete and replace all the parameters with the updated settings. Is this the best way to go about this task? If so what Dynamo/scripting functions should I use to accomplish what I need?

Thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
eizinmyat
in reply to: daniel.astorino

Hello, 

You can do all of this at parameter properties.

Properties>Family types>Click the parameters you want to change>edit>

>Choose shared parameter at parameter properties

>Choose data at Group parameter under:

>Choose Type or Instance

I attached the screenshot so that you could check it. I hope it helps you.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.

Ei Zin Myat
Technical Sales Unit Engineer
ONESTRUCTION Co., Ltd.
eizinmyat@onestruction.com
Message 3 of 4
Yien_Chao
in reply to: daniel.astorino

i believe you should first create share instance parameters and grouping them correctly (dont use the same naming). then, it should be simple to map your old parameter's values to the new ones.

Message 4 of 4
daniel.astorino
in reply to: Yien_Chao

I've progressed in the solution I have encountered an issue. Some of the family types I'm working with do not have the same data type as the shared parameter I want to replace it with. So I am coming up with alternative methods and would need guidance. I know that I can't change data type, so I was thinking of another solution: 

Create shared type using the shared parameter data file -> get value from old family type -> apply this value to the shared parameter

I would just need to figure out how to complete step 2 and 3. What is the best way to go about getting the value from the old family type and how would I then apply it to the shared type?

Would I be better off with just getting the value from an excel sheet instead?

thanks for the help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Rail Community