Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align Ceiling Grid to a wall of a room

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
harilalmn1
283 Views, 2 Replies

Align Ceiling Grid to a wall of a room

Hi All,

When we create a grid ceiling for a rectangular or square room using Revit API, usually it takes care to arrange the partial tiles equally distributed on either ends of the span. In that case, we don't have to do anything other than creating the ceiling. But how to handle the situation when the room is, say 'L' shaped and you have to start the grid from a particular wall? Or simply, align the grid to the wall.. Is there anything to control the model lines on the compound ceiling which defines the grid, in Revit API?

Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: harilalmn1

Hi.

I am not aware of any specific support for this in the Revit API. In general, if a feature is not available in the Revit product manually through the user interface, then the Revit API will not provide it either. You should therefore always research the optimal workflow and best practices to address your task at hand manually through the user interface first, before trying to address it programmatically. To do so, please discuss and analyse it with an experienced application engineer, product usage expert, or product support. Once you have got that part sorted out, it is time to step up into the programming environment. I hope this clarifies.

That said, I see one blog post on aligning a slightly off-axis grid that is vaguely related to your question and does illustrate some API functionality that might come in useful:

https://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2017/06/aligning-a-slightly-off-axis-grid.html

Possibly even more useful, this short note on moving a grid:

https://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2019/12/cyrillic-lookup-moving-grids-and-combining-edges.h...

I hope this helps. Good luck, and please share your final solution, in case others encounter the same requirement.

Thank you!

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 3 of 3
harilalmn1
in reply to: jeremy_tammik

Thankyou Jeremy for the guidance. I will check if anything from these would be useful for me to resolve the issue...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Rail Community