Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Parameters To Element

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
14607 Views, 9 Replies

Add Parameters To Element

Hello! 

I'm not a very experienced Revit developer (nor an experienced Revit user), so I'm sorry if I got something wrong.

I need to add new parameters to Revit objects via the API. I'm developing an AddIn to do so, but the parameters should be visible in this window:

Parameters.PNG

(I'm sorry, I'm using the German version of Revit, but I think this is called the Properties Palette in English).

How can I add a new set of values there?

I was trying to add a new instance parameter to an existing Revit element, but I couldn't find any information on how to do so. 

It seems like I can access all parameters of an object via

element.Parameters

Which returns a ParameterSet. ParameterSet contains the method Insert, but I don't know how to use it. Moreover, in the API documentation, it says that "New parameters can be added to Elements by adding a ParameterBinding object to the Document object." What does this mean?

Or did I get this completely wrong and Instance Parameters are not what I'm looking for?

Thanks for your help!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
so-chong
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Did you find this link?

http://www.revitapidocs.com/2018.1/7978cb57-0a48-489e-2c8f-116fa2561437.htm?section=exampleToggle

The code example also shows how to bind an instance parameter to the document.
I hope this is what you are looking for.

Message 3 of 10
JimJia

Hi, 

The Revit SDK samples have one sample named RoomSchedule which has some code snippet on shared parameter creation, you may refer to this sample for more details. 

I also copy/paste the code snippet below for your convenience:

/// <summary>
        /// Create shared parameter for Rooms category
        /// </summary>
        /// <returns>True, shared parameter exists; false, doesn't exist</returns>
        private bool CreateMyRoomSharedParameter()
        {
            // Create Room Shared Parameter Routine: -->
            // 1: Check whether the Room shared parameter("External Room ID") has been defined.
            // 2: Share parameter file locates under sample directory of this .dll module.
            // 3: Add a group named "SDKSampleRoomScheduleGroup".
            // 4: Add a shared parameter named "External Room ID" to "Rooms" category, which is visible.
            //    The "External Room ID" parameter will be used to map to spreadsheet based room ID(which is unique)

try
            {
                // check whether shared parameter exists
                if (ShareParameterExists(RoomsData.SharedParam))
                {
                    return true;
                }

// create shared parameter file
                String modulePath = Path.GetDirectoryName(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location);
                String paramFile = modulePath + "\\RoomScheduleSharedParameters.txt";
                if (File.Exists(paramFile))
                {
                    File.Delete(paramFile);
                }
                FileStream fs = File.Create(paramFile);
                fs.Close();

// cache application handle
                Autodesk.Revit.ApplicationServices.Application revitApp = m_commandData.Application.Application;

// prepare shared parameter file
                m_commandData.Application.Application.SharedParametersFilename = paramFile;

// open shared parameter file
                DefinitionFile parafile = revitApp.OpenSharedParameterFile();

// create a group
                DefinitionGroup apiGroup = parafile.Groups.Create("SDKSampleRoomScheduleGroup");

// create a visible "External Room ID" of text type.
                ExternalDefinitionCreationOptions ExternalDefinitionCreationOptions = new ExternalDefinitionCreationOptions(RoomsData.SharedParam, ParameterType.Text);
                Definition roomSharedParamDef = apiGroup.Definitions.Create(ExternalDefinitionCreationOptions);

// get Rooms category
                Category roomCat = m_commandData.Application.ActiveUIDocument.Document.Settings.Categories.get_Item(BuiltInCategory.OST_Rooms);
                CategorySet categories = revitApp.Create.NewCategorySet();
                categories.Insert(roomCat);

// insert the new parameter
                InstanceBinding binding = revitApp.Create.NewInstanceBinding(categories);
                m_commandData.Application.ActiveUIDocument.Document.ParameterBindings.Insert(roomSharedParamDef, binding);
                return false;
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                throw new Exception("Failed to create shared parameter: " + ex.Message);
            }
        }

Jim Jia
Autodesk Forge Evangelist
https://forge.autodesk.com
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network
Email: Jim.Jia@autodesk.com
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JimJia

Thank's a lot, that helped me quite a bit!

Message 5 of 10
stever66

I'm glad you got a solution.  You might also find this post of mine helpful:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/sorting-parameters-in-the-family-editor/td-p/7676931

It is basically  "A sharp macro that runs from within the family manager, and adds and sorts parameters from the shared parameters file."

Even though I made a sharp macro, the main block of code will run in Visual Studio.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Hi,

I have started to develop something similar. Is it possible to share your code here ?.

This will save me some amount of time. We can always exchange knowledge. I have started recently to do development for Revit. My target is to increas the interoperability in my workflows through managing my families using Excel sheets.

Best regards,

CadRobots

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I've been struggling with a problem related to this for quite a while now. I manage to add a shared parameter to instances of elements I desire but I cannot utilise the .Set( command on it since I get an exception saying that the same parameter that I've just created is read-only. This comes down to a situation where I'm able to add a parameter and make it user modifiable but I can't modify it through the API which is absurd. Anyone's got an idea where might my mistake be?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

I've just managed to avoid the read-only exception. Earlier I was trying to assign the value of the parameter to all wall objects in the project file. When I select some walls by hand and then run the command everything works. I wonder why some of the walls won't allow me to change the value from API. Does anyone know a workaround for that? There is always a risk that I might stumble upon one of those "evil walls" while selecting and then the code will fail.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Is there no other way to create an element parameter other than coding? there should be?

Message 10 of 10
stever66

Yes, you can easily add parameters from the user interface, but please notice that this is the Revit API (i.e. coding) forum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Rail Community