Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After my searching, how do i go back to the main page of the forum I was previously in

After my searching, how do i go back to the main page of the forum I was previously in

Steps to reproduce
Please tell i'm doing it wrong.
After searching in the Civil 3d forum and lets say I've gone through 10 pages of results, looked at a number of results and now i want to go back to the main forum page (where the questions are posted). "If" I use my browser's back button, it takes me back to the first page of the search and goes back no further.
The way I get back is to go to "forums home" at upper right of page, then click "Civil 3D" and then the "Civil 3D Forum. Is there an easier way?
The reason for the "If" above is that I am not going to click my back so many times, even if it took me back to the main forum page, is because it would also take a long time.
What you should have is a button that takes you out of search and back to the page from whence you came.

Expected results
I would like a button that closes search and puts you back to the forum you started in. Or, again, am I missing something
I've added the url for the civil forum, but I think this occurs everywhere.

Actual results
I have to manually click four times to get back to the main forum page, this is wrong i think. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

URL where issue occurs
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/bd-p/66

Browser
Other

OS
Other

10 Comments
pendean
Community Legend

@rgrainer By chance did you miss this at the top and bottom (right above the button you clicked to get here) of that forum page

pendean_0-1673898166140.png

pendean_1-1673898194349.png

Or while in a topic in any forum, these move you back real quick too

pendean_2-1673898286601.png

Webbrowser back buttons are not the only way, never have been.

HTH

rgrainer
Collaborator

This does not help

I was talking about searching. None of your images show that. Your showing standard page navigation. Go to the main Civil 3D forum, search on a word like arc, go through a few of the resulting pages, click on some of the results. Going back on the browser will take a lot of clicks to go back to where you started searching from. If you do this and get to that page, there is no button that appears for me to take me back  to the civil 3d forum.  Also my browser does not allow me to go back any further, as the "<" icon is grayed out. So, I do what I described in my OP.

pendean
Community Legend

@rgrainer Search is best used if you open topics in new tabs in your webbrowser instead of the active search window to cut down on the back and forths. Same if you move to another search page.

Yes, that's a lot of tabs open, but you never lose your spot(s) as you explore each topic of interest.

Could it all be improved? Sure it can, it's been a wishlist for 10+years, but it's never changed, your post here will die here too just like all of ours on the topic, since the problem is really with the service Autodesk has opted to use that is inflexible to modify.

Good luck.

rgrainer
Collaborator

@pendean 
Thanks

alodiac
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 12.30.33 PM.png

Hi @rgrainer On the search results page, you can also click on the "Civil 3D Forum" link under the filters. This will take you back to it since it is filtering by results in that board. We will open a task for our team to open search in a new tab so you can also go back. 

rgrainer
Collaborator

Thanks for the reply.
Hitting that button shows search results from all forums. Please make a button to go back to forum and close search. 

kevinle2
Alumni
Status changed to: Fixed/ Completed

rgrainer
Collaborator

Thank You @kevinle2 . This almost fixes my issue.
If one clicks on a result, then click the "go back to forum" button will take one back to from where they started,  if you search and don't click on a result, the "go back to forum" button does not appear show up as a choice, Please verify this. Thanks.

A.Acheson
Mentor

Hi @rgrainer I was just trying to do the same thing and this has always bugged me about using that search tool. You can't get out of it. The back button has to be clicked like 3 to 4 times. There should be a dedicated back button around the search area to g9 back to where you started. 

See images

Start here.

Screenshot_20230228_075644_Chrome.jpg

Go to your forum and then search. 

Screenshot_20230228_075849_Chrome.jpg

 Cannot return easily from here. Involves rapid return strokes on a phone device or just press the all forums button to return to all forum list and navigate again. 

rgrainer
Collaborator

@kevinle2 
This issue is not entirely fixed.

If you search and pick one of the results, then the back to forum button shows on that result page and clicking it takes you back to where you started. This is expected and does work, Thanks.

If you search, go through pages of result topics (not clicking on any individual result) then there is no back to forum button on that search page. Please add a back to forum button there.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report