Rendering Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Rendering Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Rendering topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.EXR output cloud rendering

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
sebastiaan2
373 Views, 3 Replies

.EXR output cloud rendering

While using cloud rendering for an 3D Autocad drawing, I was wonder which information is extractable from an .exr file output. Using a plugin in photoshop cc for .exr files an overexposed 1 layer file opens up. I wonder if the .exr files are only usable by the other 3D software from autocad and if not, how can I extract all te information the .exr contains.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
zicher2
in reply to: sebastiaan2

Hi.

EXR files downloaded from our service are not normalized (0-1 range), but have the full physical values. Some application might not deal with those high values well, and need to scale them down.

Photoshop opens an EXR and applies a default exposure that is almost always too high.

On the lower left of the view, open the options for the tool next to the zoom% and chose "32-bit exposure".
The tool will change to a slider that will let you change exposure as desired.

This is just changing the exposure for the image visualization in the view, not the exposure of the image itself.

screen1.png

Message 3 of 4
sebastiaan2
in reply to: zicher2

Thank you for going out of your way and explaining a bit of photoshop, this function was new to me.

I wondered if the file that autodesk 360 exports contained multiple passes like other software could, for now my abilities with .EXR (32bit) files and photoshop don't extend to a point in which I can use the file other than view it in a super high dynamic range.

In any case thank you very much for your time!

Message 4 of 4
zicher2
in reply to: sebastiaan2

No problem.

The EXRs we produce do not include any extra passes, just the final images in HDR.

The main purpose of using EXRs is to custom tonemap the image raw data.

We provide some default tonemapping presets (post-processing) in the web portal, plus a custom option that let you tweak a bit further. That's all you need for most images.

In special cases, load the EXR in Photoshop, change the mode from 32 to 8-bit, and PS will give you a ton more options to tonemap the image.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report