Community
ReMake Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReMake Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReMake topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help - Will this work ??

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
643 Views, 6 Replies

Please Help - Will this work ??

My previous two attempts to post the below did not appear on forum, so trying again - Apologies if ends up in triplicate.

I am trying to complete a reconstruction as part of a school Design Studies assignment, but due to the dimensions / texture of the object being used as depicted at the end of this post, it is proving to be a challenge for both REMAK and Myself.

Will the following proposed set up assist in REMAKE being able to reconstruct my project ???

1. Vertically cut a large white drum along the 2 / 3rds line - ( 1 / 3rd to be discarded ) -  ( Top of drum already removed ).

2. Position object on rotational pin so it is central in drum to allow images to be taken from above and below with only white displayed in background.

3. Use camera with fixed focus on tripod, that has sliding rail so camera can be moved forward / backwards to obtain focus without physically having to move the tripod.

4. Rotate object for each image in increments of 5 to10 degrees, whilst only taking sectioned images of the object,  to ensure everything remains focused whilst filling at least 50% of the image with the object.

5. Ensure at least 40% overlap in each image taken, and only take images outside in either overcast conditions OR early morning / late evening conditions to eliminate any shadowing complications.

Everything I have tried so far ( over 1,300 images taken so far ), REMAKE has been unable to reconstruct the image which I think may be related to both dimensions of object and lack of texture on object for pixel alignment algorithm.

Your feedback / help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah

Object depicted below to provide example of what I am working with.

IMG_2403 (2).JPG 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
barmanr
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

In this particular case the subject has very little surface texture (color variation). The only way to improve the reconstruction quality would be to:

Thanking You.

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman

SQA Engineer, ReMake

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: barmanr

Hi Rishov,

Thank you for the reply.

I added some texture as per the provided image however two things occurred,

1. The lines drawn on the image actually came out on the model as indentations or grooves.

2. The model was very disproportionate to scale, as in if I upsize to correct length, the captured object is much wider than the object I took images of.

So auto focus must be off, and cannot use zoom in any way shape or form is that correct ??

Any other suggestions to improve my results would be appreciated, as has your efforts thus far.

Sarah

liz.JPG

Message 4 of 7
barmanr

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry for the late reply as I was on vacation.

Yes please disable auto focus and refrain from using zoom. For capturing details you could take close up images. 

Also could you provide a screenshot of the image with textures?

In terms of the scale, how are you scaling the object? Are you performing a uniform scale or scaling by 2 points?

Thanks,

Rishov

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

DPP_0044 (2).JPGThank you once again Rishov,

I have disabled auto focus, and not using zoom at all. When I scale is is after I have exported the file as an obj, and then open it up in either cinema 4D or meshmixer and uniform scale the object.

Below demonstrates the object painted in a dull primer filler with just texta marks for reference points.

And thank you once again for your assistance so far.

Message 6 of 7
barmanr

Hi @Anonymous,

Remake has a Set Scale Tool that you could use. There is a scale by 2 points feature that allows you to select 2 points on the model and set the real word distance. And it should scale the model accordingly bringing it closer to the real word scale.

1) From the Tool bar, Go to Model Settings> Set scale & units

2) Under Set Scale menu, select the Scale by Value checkbox

3) Set the unit and select 2 point on the mesh

4) Add the value in the Distance box.

5) Click Set.

This will scale the model according to the value you entered between those points and relatively scale the other parts of the model.

The black lines added appear to be shiny which could be a reason why the engine is not being able to stitch them properly. Shiny and reflective lines/surfaces are not usually recommended. This could also have caused the depth in those areas. To fix your issue, you could use the Surface Tools (located under Edit in the toolbar) to slightly pull the areas and level them with the mesh. 

Thanking You.

Warmest Regards,

Rishov

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Project Completed,

In the end I used a rotating platform on castors to move the object closer / further from stationary camera on tripod to gain focus ( easier than moving tripod all the time ). Used about 175 images in basic jpeg format ( didn't convert raw to jpeg ), and the end result was a 100 % match to the original once smoothed / scaled and 3D printed, it turned out dimensionally accurate.

Great program once you get the lighting / focus / angles correct.

Thank you for your help with this project.

Sarah

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report