Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Registration from coordinates for faster workflow and higher accuracy

Auto-Registration from coordinates for faster workflow and higher accuracy

For a lot of scan projects its much easier to set out the coordinates in the field first > position the scanner above or between the points > attach the coordinates to the scans > Import in the scan software (Recap) without registration > clean the scans without the need to stitch them.

This is WAY faster and more accurate than by Shape matching. Yes, it takes a little more time in the field to set out the coordinates, but most of the times these coordinates are also needed for other things (Infraworks360, Construction coordination, ect.)

It was already possible with the TopCon GLS-2000 .ij data in Recap, but it doesn't seem to work anymore since update 2.2 . It would be nice to register them by importing an .csv or something in Recap or by recognizing the data from a file in the same folder.

See registration method 2 in the attachments.

5 Comments
ryan.frenz
Alumni

ReCap does not care about registration method.  You can always choose 'skip registration' at the import screen - when you do this, ReCap will use whatever registration is embedded in the input files.  This can be computed however you'd like, but you must use other software to put it in the input file.

Are you requesting a feature to provide the registration separately from the input files?  You could probably achieve this quite easily by creating PTX files and updating the scan headers.

-Ryan

benno.toorn
Advocate

Hello Ryan, thanks for the reply. I didn't had time to test it earlier. We tried a new scan and it worked 🙂 Probably some information was missing from the CL3's or IJ and ALG files from the same folder created from Scanmaster. Can you still ELI5 how to registrate seperately from the input files? Is this possible from Recap or do I need other software? Also Recap doesn't seem to recognise the points from the Raw TopCon scans (CLR). It would be great to use Recap without other software to make scans CAD ready.

ryan.frenz
Alumni

It sounds like you want to set the registration in a way that is independent from both a) the raw input files, and b) ReCap's registration tools.  The only way to do this will be with a custom workflow - you'll need to combine the raw data and your externally-computed registration into a single file.  There are several supported formats that are 'open' - E57 and PTX come to mind.

CLR is not yet supported for the GLS-2000 but will be very soon.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

benno.toorn
Advocate

Hello Ryan, Thanks for the quick response. I'll give it a try with the E57 or PTX. It would be great to have CLR supported. If you need some examples of someone to test it, just send me a response. FYI, we now layout the scan locations with TopCons LN-100 or DS-200i with Point Layout or their own software. Then combine the coordinates file with the scans in Scanmaster. Then convert it to CL3 and import it to Recap w/o registration.

vidanom
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report