Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recap Ultimate - Recap Won't Use More Than 12% of CPU

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Hook13579
735 Views, 3 Replies

Recap Ultimate - Recap Won't Use More Than 12% of CPU

For some odd reason I noticed that exporting to an RCS in Recap was going very very slowly and as it turns out Recap isn't taking up more than 12% of my CPU. I've looked at the CPU usage and it isn't confining itself to only one core, but rather jumping around several of the cores... the CPU isn't going above 12% for Recap. Has anyone else seen this? Any way to unleash Recap to let it use more CPU resources? If i'm not mistaken it has used more CPU in the past.

I'm not running anything else and total CPU usage isn't over 24% for the entire machine so it isn't that another program is using up my CPU. SSD isn't writing to anything else so Recap is being slowed down there.

FYI... I'm running 8 cores 16 threads at 4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, Windows 10 64bit, Recap Ultimate 2.2.0.25

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ryan.frenz
in reply to: Hook13579

To answer your question, there is no special way to encourage ReCap to use more CPU.  Some functions will use most/all of it, while others will use only 1-2 cores.

I/O (like import and export) is especially tricky because performance gains are limited by disk bandwidth anyway.  That said, it's something we're always looking to improve.  I'll ask the engineering team to take this into consideration.

Ryan

Message 3 of 4
triamconsulting

Hi

I affirm THook's observation.

I just purchased a new AMD Ryzen 7 5800X with 8 cores, 16 threads with 128GB ram 3600MHz speed, and a very fast 2TB FireWire SSD, and GeForce RTX3080 graphics card. Yet the loading of a 7.35GB .las file into a new project is slower than my older Intel i7 machine with Quadro M2000 graphics card, lesser ram etc. On checking I found that only one CPU (thread) was being used, and the loading process to a very loooooooooong time. When I load the same file into CloudCompare, it all happens very snappy !?!

Please guys, when doing a project that needs to process 8 such drone survey areas and then combine then, we cannot wait such a long time for just loading files when we've done all we can to have the right hardware.

Leon Botha

Tri-Am Consulitng

South Africa

Message 4 of 4
triamconsulting

Dear Ryan

VERY IMPORTANT

I realize this is might not be asked under the appropiate topic thread, but I do not know where else, but it pertains to all the Recap/Civil-3D users of Southern Africa;

in short: we need options on the Import and the Export process to multiply the X and Y coordinate values by -1, respectively.

The South African National Survey System has the Zero direction pointing to the South pole, measuring clockwise positive. Our 1st given coordinate value is the Y-value, measured positive towards the west and negative towards the east, from the given Longitude. Our X-value is measured positive from the equator towards the south. 

This means that the normal Cartesian system of X-axis positive towards the right and Y-axis positive upwards, like in math, has been rotated 180°. The only way we have in Civil-3D, to still have our site drawing content with North pointing upwards is to multiply the Y and X values with -1. Then in Civil-3D all the coordinates (XY) are correct in value, expect for the sign being inverted. When we draw coordiate lists, we just have a function to again fix the values by multiplying the X and Y's by -1.

However, when we need to bring in a Recap point file, and the Y and X coordiate values have not been multiplied by -1, then the point cloud sits "inverted", and in the northern hemisphere.

I had my son form univertity write me a function in Phython by which I can do the "times -1" changing with .e57 files, then load them into Recap, and then to Civil-3D, but it would be very handy to be able to do this "times -1" of the Y and X coordinate values as an option on the Import state of a Recap project, or at the Export Stage thereto. The latter being the better choice since the original file will go to Revit, and the "times -1" X/Y file will go to Civil-3D.

I hope I explained it sufficiently and that yoiur team will be willing to add this very needed functionality to the Recap software.

Much appreciated !!

Leon 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report