Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Coordinates in Registration of two Point clouds

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
968 Views, 13 Replies

Keeping Coordinates in Registration of two Point clouds

I have one coordinated point from a P40 scanner, and one uncoordinated point cloud from a BLK360 scanner. The scan areas overlap. I tried coordinating the BLK data using targets but it will not recognise the targets when I try to pick them. I also tried picking targets in the P40 data and this did not work either.

I then tried registering the uncoordinated BLK data to the coordinated P40 data. The registration worked but it did not keep the coordinates of the P40 data and instead became arbitrary.

How can I solve this issue? Is there a way to set a home scan world, or fix the coordinates of one of the scans?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
miguelantunes1992
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RECAP/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-76535CD1-8BBA-43CD-82F3-574B9B8B4D62

You have to unite the non georeferenced with the geo, never the opposite
Open the p40 scan project, regist the blk scan and then unite

Miguel Antunes

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: miguelantunes1992

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
I have already done as you suggested. I have brought my coordinated data
into Recap. I checked and it maintained its coordinates. I then imported
the uncoordinated point cloud into my coordinated RCP.
It allowed me to register the two datasets together. But once the two are
merged it loses its coordinates.
Do you know why this is the case?

Thanks,
Lorcan
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
I have already done as you suggested. I have brought my coordinated data into Recap. I checked and it maintained its coordinates. I then imported the uncoordinated point cloud into my coordinated RCP.
It allowed me to register the two datasets together. But once the two are merged it loses its coordinates.
Do you know why this is the case?

Thanks,
Lorcan
Message 5 of 14
miguelantunes1992

They merged correctly when you see the project?

Message 6 of 14
miguelantunes1992

Go here, and save three points from the uncordinate scan then goback to the project, I think this result

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Yes. It indicated that there was a good registration. Upon inspection it was in line with the original point cloud. However the coordinates were incorrect, they were now arbitrary.

Is there any way to adjust the settings in Recap? Maybe I can choose a scan to be the reference scan that will not move, or a way to fix the coordinates so they won't change in the main point cloud?

Thanks

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Do you mean that I should choose targets in the uncoordinated scan? I can not get Recap to recognise the targets in either point cloud. One point cloud was recorded using a Leica P40 scanner (this is the coordinated data) the other recorded using a BLK360. It will not recognise the targets in either point cloud. I used standard leica 4.5 inch targets.

Message 9 of 14
miguelantunes1992

I will make this:

Open the georeferenced scan  , import the non-geo , resume registration, merge,  and then choose 3 points in registration and save and the result is one project with the first coordinates

Sorry don't know 

Message 10 of 14

You don't have to chose a target

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

@miguelantunes1992 wrote:

I will make this:

Open the georeferenced scan  , import the non-geo , resume registration, merge,  and then choose 3 points in registration and save and the result is one project with the first coordinates

Sorry don't know 

Apologies I don't understand what you mean by "and then choose 3 points in registration and save..."

Message 12 of 14
miguelantunes1992

see the picture

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I have done as you suggested and I believe it is working, I still need to check the accuracy of the transformation but I think this has solved my issue.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Message 14 of 14
miguelantunes1992

No problem,

best luck for you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report