Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deliverable to Client

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
855 Views, 5 Replies

Deliverable to Client

My name Is John and I am a land surveyor with a Leica HD scanner.  I am processing an e57 file in recap in order to create an RCP file for our client.  The process went okay until the client copied the file over and now it won't open on his computer or mine.  Please help me with what is the proper procedure to delivery a rcp file that works.

regards,

John Pelletier

land Surveyor

226-344-5411

Labels (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ryan.frenz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi John,

This is probably better suited for our User Forum (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/recap-general-discussion/bd-p/451).

To move a project to another machine, you'll need to be sure to copy not just the RCP file, but also it's Support folder (named <Project Name> Support in the same folder).

If you're doing that, and still having problems, we'll need to know more about the error - is there a message, etc?

-Ryan

Message 3 of 6
TBodor1
in reply to: ryan.frenz

Can you just copy and paste and RCP file from windows explorer now? If so that would be great!!

The preferred process used to be you had to open ReCAP and do a save as where you wanted the file if it was to remain in an RCP file format. The reason was it copied over all the support files necessary. They would always say don't do a standard copy and paste as it may not copy all the necessary files or it could cause a failure and it wasn't the supported way of copying and RCP file format. I don't recall anyone from the ReCAP team saying anything different yet. An RCS file format always worked fine with a copy and paste.

Message 4 of 6
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: TBodor1

It depends what program is going to use the Recap Project (in the new location).

If you are going to use it with Recap again, or attach it in Autocad copying over

"the RCP + the whole support folder" works fine.

If you are going to attach the Recap project in Navisworks, I believe you should still use the Save As in Recap, otherwise Navisworks will EITHER take the RCS files form the original location OR it will not find the RCS files and you will have to indicate the new location for each RCS file individually.

For Revit and Inventor, I do not have a clue, but I guess copying "the RCP + the whole support folder" will work fine.

Message 5 of 6

Yes, you always have to move the RCP and its support folder together.  But yes, you can use Windows Explorer copy/paste.  The only catch is what Patrick mentions - the RCP file might still try to use the Support data at the old location.  If it's not there, ReCap (desktop app) will handle that fine and automatically find the data in the new Support folder.  But some other products might not.  That's the main reason we recommend Save As.

If you run into this issue, you can solve it as follows:

1. Make sure the old project location is no longer accessible on the machine in question (rename it temporarily if you have to).
  2. Open the project in ReCap (desktop app).
  3. Save the project (not Save As).  This will update the embedded paths ReCap uses to locate data.

-Ryan

Message 6 of 6
TBodor1
in reply to: ryan.frenz

Thanks guys. Good to know. It is kind of a pain doing a "save as" every time you want to copy a project somewhere else. It is always good to have that as a fall back if something breaks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report