Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk ReCap Pro / Photo 2024 and ReCap Viewer - Release Notes

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
barmanr
3902 Views, 33 Replies

Autodesk ReCap Pro / Photo 2024 and ReCap Viewer - Release Notes

Hi Everyone,

We are happy to announce that Autodesk ReCap Pro / Photo 2024 has been released!

What is included in Autodesk ReCap Pro 24.0.0?

New Features and Improvements:

• Extended classification management and automatic ground classification to all types of scans.
  • Added support to import Faro premium scans.
  • Improved the RealView quality of Faro scans.
  • Provided better instruction in the publishing and scan-to-mesh workflow.
  • Improved stability when importing Faro *.fls files.
  • Improved stability when importing Leica *.prj files.
  • Improved the user experience with Single Sign-On (SSO).
  • Added support for Autodesk Desktop Connector version 16.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed an issue in which the Orbit tool did not function properly on the first instance after import/index.
  • Fixed an issue in which indexing paused at 50% for an extended time when using intensity clipping 0-30% during import.
  • Fixed an issue in which the tooltip path of missing RCS files in a project was not shown.
  • Fixed an issue in which annotations were rendered below the grid.
  • Fixed an issue in which the elevation color picker was not centered.
  • Fixed an issue in which canceling scan to mesh still showed the progress dialog.
  • Fixed an issue in which the scan-to-mesh notification would not close.
  • Fixed an issue in which some scans were not highlighted correctly when the cursor was placed over them during import.
  • Fixed an issue in which Edit Current and Gradient buttons did not show up when ReCap was not maximized.
  • Fixed a layout issue in the coordinate system dialog.
  • Fixed truncation in the XYZ banner.
  • Fixed truncation in the pipe snap dialog.
  • Fixed truncation in the localized Preferences dialog.
  • Fixed truncation in the localized auto-registration dialog.
  • Fixed truncation in the localized elevation color picker.
  • Fixed misalignment in the localized Registration setting dialog.
  • Fixed untranslated "Ctrl" in a localized region tooltip.
  • Fixed untranslated "Text Documents (*.txt)" in the "Export Quality Report" dialog.
  • Fixed an issue in which an installation would not finish.
  • Removed security vulnerabilities.

Known Limitations:

• Faro scans without color will not be colorized by ReCap during import. To import Faro scans with color, please process and colorize the scan in Faro before importing them to ReCap.
  • Points that belong to a hidden classification are selectable and can be deleted.
  • Classifications in certain types of scans (such as structured scans) cannot be viewed in other Autodesk products. In such cases, the source project can be exported as a unified project for viewing in other Autodesk products.
  • Publishing and scan to mesh no longer work using Desktop Connector v15 and earlier. It is advised to update to Desktop Connector v16 (16.1.1.1950 and above).

What is included in Autodesk ReCap Photo 24.0.0?

New Features and Improvements:

• Added support for Mavic 3 Enterprise and later drone imagery.
  • Improved the user experience with Single Sign-On (SSO).
  • Added support for Autodesk Desktop Connector version 16.
  • Improved the Create Aerial Project dialog to indicate if input images are PPK/RTK enabled.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed a stability issue when loading GCP XML.
  • Fixed an issue in which the child account of the AEC collection does not have access.
  • Fixed an issue in which the log file was truncated.
  • Fixed a stability issue during startup.
  • Fixed security vulnerabilities.

Known Limitations:

• Creating a new project will no longer work using Desktop Connector v15 and earlier. It is advised to update to Desktop Connector v16 (16.1.1.1950 and above).

What is included in Autodesk ReCap Viewer?

New Features:

• Linear Feature Extraction - Define, refine, and extract linear feature elements from point cloud data in the ReCap Viewer.

Learn more about Linear Feature Extraction

Learn more about What's New in ReCap

Learn more about What's New in ReCap Photo

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
spin360surveys
in reply to: barmanr

Colourised Faro scans do not process as colourised in Recap 2024. This renders the software useless.

Message 3 of 34
barmanr
in reply to: spin360surveys

Hi @spin360surveys ,

Some clarification, what is not supported is to colorize the scan in ReCap

• If the raw scan doesn't have color and it requires some processing to colorize, ReCap is unable to process and colorize the scan. ReCap will import Faro scans as-is and will not perform processing and colorization
  • If the raw scan already has color, it should come with color in ReCap (this is supported as before no change here)

It's the same with previous versions. When importing fls scans in ReCap:

• If in ReCap 23.0 it has color -> it should have color in ReCap 24.0
  • If in ReCap 23.0 it doesn't have color -> it shouldn't have color in 24.0

Thanking You.

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 4 of 34
spin360surveys

Barmanr.

The scans that I have imported into Recap 2024 were colourised by the scanner. Recap 2024 has processed them in greyscale. I have had reinstall Recap 2022 to process the scans. 

Also just to mention that Recap 2024 has the same glitch that existed in Recap 2023. If you manually register two scans by picking 3 points/surfaces from the real view, you cannot to zoom in to the plan view to verify that the orange and blue lines overlay. See screen shot below. 

Just to note that I've been waiting for Recap 2024 to come out because I have a Faro premium scanner and the previous versions of recap do not process faro premium scans. I've been having to process the scans in Faros scene and then import them into Recap. I was hoping that the 2024 would solve my problem but if it fails to colourise scans then it's useless once more. 

Regards

Message 5 of 34
barmanr

Hi @spin360surveys ,

Thanks for the info.

For your first part, the scan that you mentioned came out in grayscale in FY24 but you could colorize it in FY22 in ReCap? Was this a premium scan? Would you be able to share this scan with us for validation and investigation as to what is going on here? If Yes, I can PM you a private drive link. Quite curious on this one because if FY22 allowed you to colorize it in ReCap, then FY24 should be able as well for non-premium scans. This should be as before.

For the bug with the zoom issue, let me validate that and log an issue.

For the final part, Yes ReCap previous versions would not be able to even import the scans if they were premium. With FY24, these scans can be imported - registered, and indexed. But as you mentioned, the colorized component needs a FARO license and we are working with them to come up with a possible way. For now yes, such scans will still need to be processed in FARO first before import to ReCap.

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 6 of 34
spin360surveys

The scans that I imported yesterday were a mixture of colour scans and greyscale scans from two different Faro m70 scanners. All scans processed in 2024 came out greyscale. I uninstalled 2024 and reinstalled 2022 and the scans processed correctly.  Yes please dm me. Do you need the a 2024 processed 'colourised but not colourised' scan uploading? 

As far the faro premium scans, this is a real problem. Faro scene is very expensive and in my opinion no better (on the whole) than Recap. Is there a free version of Faro scene that I can use in the meantime? 

Regards

Message 7 of 34
barmanr

Hi @spin360surveys ,

I have sent you a PM with the link for upload.

For the scans, you can upload the exact raw scans you had brought in to ReCap 24 to process. I will be trying the same workflow you tried to import them in FY24 first. And perhaps in another folder the scans or just the names of the scans that came out grayscale in FY24.

And I do believe FARO Scene provides a 30-day trial. I think you have to request one on their website.

Thanking You.

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 8 of 34
spin360surveys

Rishov,

I'm currently uploading the raw files and the 2024 processed files.

I've already used 5 x 30 day Scene trials. I've had enough of this workflow and I'm also not sure that Faro will keep giving me more free trials now that Autdodesk have the premium sdk.

Kind regards

Message 9 of 34
barmanr

Hi @spin360surveys ,

Thank you for the dataset.

Regarding the zoom issue, I tried the same on a dataset and I am able to zoom in using FY24 actually. Not sure if I am missing a step but I added 3 points via manual Reg and I can zoom into the minimap.

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 7.23.22 PM.png

Is it happening for all your datasets when you try it?

Warmest Regards,

Rishov

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 10 of 34
spin360surveys

Hi Rishov,

It works ad hoc but it tends to stop working completely when the data sets become quite large. I stopped using 2023 because of this. When i tried 2024 I experienced the same issue. This was on a huge point cloud of 325gb but 2022 handled it fine. 

There was also an issue with 2023 where putting scans into folders didn't work. I've not tried this on 2024 yet because it failed at the first hurdle unfortunately. 

Message 11 of 34
spin360surveys

Rishov,

I've just re-installed 2024 again and had another try. It's unusable. It just keeps crashing when I click on a mirror ball. I'll revert back to 2022 until these issues are sorted out. 

Regards

Message 12 of 34
barmanr

Hi @spin360surveys ,

The mirror ball crashes, do you mean when you click on the minimap balls or in Real View? And also this is for the 325GB large dataset as you mentioned?

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 13 of 34
spin360surveys

Hi,

No this was using a 50gb data set. I tried to click on a mirror ball in 3d view and it didn't turn blue immediately. It did turn blue moments later and then crashed. I opened Recap 24 3 times afterwards and it did the same. So I reinstalled 22 and it works fine.

What have you managed to ascertain with the scans I sent?  Is 2024 managing to process them in colour? 

Regards 

Message 14 of 34
barmanr

Hi @spin360surveys ,

Yes, I could reproduce the issue using your scans. They come out in grayscale in FY24. Now the question remains whether this was due to the switch for the new FARO SDK tagged to the same colorize licensed function or it is an internal ReCap issue because other scans non FARO focus ones we tested internally came out in color. I have logged an issue for this and we will investigate. Thanks once again for the scans!

For the crash on the mirror ball, I am trying out internally with a 150 GB dataset and I am not being able to repro. Works fine for me. While I am at it, there is one way you should get your real views to cache faster. If you shift select all your scans under Scan location in the project navigator and right-click>Cache Real Views, this will cache all the real views, and clicking on a mirror ball will be faster and direct as the files will already be cached. This was introduced in FY23 however.

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 15 of 34
barmanr

Hi @spin360surveys ,

After multiple tries, I managed to reproduce the 3D view mirror ball click issue. Seems to be happening only for 3D views and is not consistent for me. I have logged an issue and we will investigate it as well.

Thanks for pointing out these issues!

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 16 of 34
spin360surveys

Thanks for the advice regarding the cache and real views. I'll give that a try.

Sometimes I find that re-registering the point cloud by simply clicking registration and then reloading helps the point clouds run smoother in general. 

Message 17 of 34
jesper

@barmanr wrote:

Hi @spin360surveys ,

Now the question remains whether this was due to the switch for the new FARO SDK tagged to the same colorize licensed function or it is an internal ReCap issue

If you try and open them in Recap 2022, I bet they'll come out colorized => it's a ReCap2024 issue

I'm having the same problem with a point cloud from a FARO Focus X330. I tried colorize in Scene, hit save. Then importing the scan files from the Scene project revisions folder to Recap...now it's in colors.

This is however not a feasible way for me, so reverting to recap 2022 for now. ohh cr*p, I did the loading and registration in R2024 and got the grayscale point cloud...Im not able to open in R2022, so have to register all 67 scans again :´-(

Rgds J

Message 18 of 34
barmanr
in reply to: jesper

Hi @jesper ,

We are working with FARO on this. Initially, we got the impression that only Premium Scans did not have the color option but Focus scans are impacted as well. It's related to the scan colorization license key that was not provided to us for the new SCENE API that comes in with ReCap24. Older versions of ReCap work because they are on the older FARO LS SDK. However, the older SDK cannot process Premium Scans. 

Thanking You.

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 19 of 34
jesper

@barmanr 

right, but I just found out that I cant activate ReCap Pro 2022, apparently because it's an older version:

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/ReCap-not-upgradin...

This is a BIG problem, because I need to use some Pro features for a project I'm working on right now!!

So pls help: How do I activate Recap Pro 2022?

Thanks

EDIT:

I uninstalled RC22 and installed RC24 to see if I was able to open a RC22 project in RC24, YES it works.. but now it says: update desktop connector

I updated desktop connector, and this seems to have solved my problem.

So this was what I did:

1. Installed RC24 (note to other FARO users: do NOT update to ReCap24)
  2. Imported and registered scans, found out it was in grayscale
  3. Uninstalled RC24
  4. Reinstalled RC22
  5. Imported and registered scans again, this time in colors
  6. Uninstalled RC22
  7. Installed RC24
  8. Updated Desktop Connector
  9. Opened my scan project and used the pro features

Then hopefully this is fixed before my next registration project...or else I will use the "Colorize point cloud" feature in Scene, and import the scan files from Scene revisions folder

Message 20 of 34
barmanr
in reply to: jesper

Hi @jesper ,

If you have a subscription, you should not have issues activating the base FY22 version as the FY22 version has no time bomb actually. Possible to share the image of the dialog you are getting when you try to activate 2022?

But if you update FY22 to 22.1, the application will be time bombed on Oct 1, 2023, for Free Users.

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report