Previous Version Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s Previous Version Support Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore Previous Version Support topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 and Autocad 2016 with standalone perpetual license

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
michellem
11595 Views, 5 Replies

Windows 11 and Autocad 2016 with standalone perpetual license

Hello;

I have a copy of Autocad 2016 with a perpetual stand-alone license and it is activated on a computer running Windows 10. Will upgrading the operating system, without changing the hardware, effect the activation of my Autocad?

I am also concerned about the requirement for TPM 2.0 in Windows 11 which I gather is a chip on the motherboard. My machine is fairly new but I do not know if the TPM is turned on or not. If I have that chip, and it is currently off, and I then turn it on, will this effect my activation of Autocad?

Sincerely;

Michelle

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: michellem

why do you even want to do that? Bored? Need to scare away your clients? Don't like earning a living? Can't resist shiny and new?

her is the deal: Win11 is the shark in the water, if you jump in no one, NO ONE, is going to save you. Sure you might be just fine, you might not.

Feelin' lucky? Or do you just need a hobby 😉

Message 3 of 6
RobDraw
in reply to: pendean

Wow, I was wondering why, also but man that's a bit over the top if you consider that they might just like to try new things. Maybe there is no risk. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 6
michellem
in reply to: pendean

Hmm...

The Autocad 2016 is my personal copy and is not needed for business so I don't need to keep up with the latest and greatest. If I decided to start my own company doing contract drafting work, then yes I would sign up for a subscription. On the other hand, if I am doing a series of small standalone drafting jobs -  and the client does not care what version of CAD I am using - then I would use just use Acad 2016.

In all seriousness, I would rather buy something than rent it - even if it means using old software. Make no mistake, a subscription plan is renting.

In terms of Windows 11, I am trying to look ahead where I can. End of support for Windows 10 is Oct 2025. That means no more security patches. Furthermore, while MS says Windows 11 is an optional update, they will start cajoling and encouraging people to upgrade. And from what I can tell from browsing the internet, you can expect this process to begin the middle of next year.

At any rate, I am still looking for an answer to my question...how will upgrading to Windows 11, when that becomes available next year, effect my current activation for Acad 2016?

Sincerely;

Michelle

Message 5 of 6
pendean

Autodesk is not going to support R2016 in Win11.
That's all there is from Autodesk.

You'll just have to jump in and find out more on your own: we'd all love to find out how it all went.
Message 6 of 6
DarrenP

there is a chance if you upgrade to windows 11 it can break the activation

no guarantee it won't or not too many things can happen when you do an in place upgrade to a new Windows OS

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report