Previous Version Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s Previous Version Support Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore Previous Version Support topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any changes to the 5 version back policy?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
michellem
1116 Views, 8 Replies

Any changes to the 5 version back policy?

Hello;

Are there any changes or updates on the "five version back" policy as seen in the link below?

Five Version Policy 2020 

I am particularly interested in any answer to this post I saw elsewhere:

Regarding this topic and Autodesk Previous Version Rights policy; Can we get confirmation on when our customers will expect to be denied access to Revit 2019 for new and existing installations?  Will this product activate for new installations and will it continue to activate for existing installations once Revit 2025 comes out?

Sincerely;

Michelle

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Simon_Weel
in reply to: michellem

Message 3 of 9
michellem
in reply to: Simon_Weel

Hmm...Thank you Simon for the article. I have read it but questions still remain...

So looking at this quote:

An active subscription plan without lapse indicates that you can continue to use a previously installed and activated version, even if it has reached end of support. 

Let's assume that a company has an active subscription without lapse and has three drafters assigned licenses. Revit 2020 was installed a couple of years ago on each of these drafter's computers back when it was still a "supported" version. Now that Revit 2024 is out, Revit 2020 is no longer a supported version. However, according to the above, we still have the right use Revit 2020.

Note that at this company, fully 1/3 of it's current projects are in Revit 2020. Also note that this company does not decide which Revit version to use, that is prerogative of the client - namely the architect. Use the required Revit version or turn down the work.

But let's further assume that the hard drive on one of the computers has had a fatal crash and that a new computer must be purchased. What can we do to get Revit 2020 installed on that new computer? 

According to this quote, the company is SOL. Nothing can be done.

However, for unsupported versions, you can't get a new activation code to reactivate that version for any device. We also do not release software updates or hotfixes for versions that have reached the end of support

You have the right to use the software but have no computer on which to use it.

Simon, can you tell me if my understanding is correct?

Sincerely;

Michelle

Message 4 of 9
Simon_Weel

That 5-year-back thing no longer applies, it seems. Nevertheless, older versions do still work. We have a couple of Revit 2019 projects and we can still use Revit 2019 without problems. Technically, you violate the EULA, I guess.

I always download the installation files for products in use, so if something happens and a new installation is required, all the necessary files are there. And if I'm right, since version 2018, you no longer need to activate - just use an account to log on.

Edit: it's described in this article under heading Previous Versions. The main cutaway:

You may use any previous versions on the Previous Versions List plus any previous version that You received from Autodesk and still have in Your possession (either in the form of a media kit for that version or a downloaded copy of that version) that was either (i) the current version, or (ii) a listed previous version when You received it but was subsequently removed from the list.

Message 5 of 9
pendean

@michellem Autodesk seems to have always made some sort of exception for REVIT users since they understand projects last for years and not all team members are going to upgrade on any Autodesk schedule easily.

If you want a definitive ruling, you'll need to contact Autodesk (through a reseller or through your account): last time anyone asked for an older year version of REVIT then needed to ask for it from Autodesk with a compelling business need (aka a project with project teams from other firms) and they got it. AFAIK this is not written on a webpage anywhere for your legal counsel to use in a courtroom but is revealed when you ask Autodesk (they want you to really want it I guess).

Best wishes.

Message 6 of 9
cadffm

The last 4.&5. version still offering by AutoCAD Assist, so I guess the 5 years old version rule is still on (4+5 Version still without further support).

Sebastian

Message 7 of 9
Simon_Weel
in reply to: pendean

I think it's covered with this article under heading Previous Versions. The main cutaway:

You may use any previous versions on the Previous Versions List plus any previous version that You received from Autodesk and still have in Your possession (either in the form of a media kit for that version or a downloaded copy of that version) that was either (i) the current version, or (ii) a listed previous version when You received it but was subsequently removed from the list.

For example, if you had subscription / maintenance in 2018 when you obtained version 2019 (current version in 2018), and you are still on subscription since that day, you're allowed to use 2019 as long as you pay your subscription fee.

Message 8 of 9
michellem

Thanks much for everyone's replies.

Not sure if everything is clear to me yet. Seems that every time I try to nail down the fine details, I fail.

Michelle

Message 9 of 9
Simon_Weel

Seems that every time I try to nail down the fine details, I fail.

We all do in this regard. Don't put too much time in it...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report