Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotary toolpath links help

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1034 Views, 6 Replies

Rotary toolpath links help

Hi,

Completely new to programming and generating rotary 4th axis paths so please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.

When generating individual paths I have set the safe area to 'cylinder' and specified a rapid radius that clears the component. This works great for linking the individual cuts within in a single toolpath with the tool retracting to safe height then rotating around the component.

The issue I have is the link between different paths where the tool will simply move in straight line from last position to start of next path first position which as you can imagine in certain instances will travel through the component. Is there option to apply safe height/radius then rotary move between different paths?

Unrelated to the above I'm intrigued to discover what other users do when tackling small break edges (0.1 - 0.2mm x 45deg) and what methods/tooling you apply with PowerMILL? As you can see from the pictures below the component has a number of small 3D break edges.

The machine tool I'm using is Mori Seiki 3-axis vertical with 4th axis rotary table installed. 

Thanks in advance for any help and support on this issue. 

safe area cylinder.jpglinks.jpgbreak edge.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Leigh,

Welcome to PowerMill forum.

For your question, please using Potional Moves method to tackle between multi toolpaths.

Using workplanes to guide tool moves between different tool angle.PotionalMoves.PNG

This method is mentioned in PowerMill MultiAxis Mannual.

Please take a look.

Minh

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Ok thank you for your suggestion, just to clarify there is no option to apply rotary/radial links between paths?

Message 4 of 7
NanchenO

The best way to do it is to define the correct clearance method:

With a plane, for instance, you will get "flat" transition at a certain height.

In your case, I would use a cylinder, parallel to your 4th axis. This will give you rotary transitions around the part at the diameter of your "clearance cylinder".

You can then adjust your start and end points to match the previous and the next toolpath's ones. thius will force PowerMill to position to the next toolpath's start point using the correct clearance method.

Olivier

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: NanchenO

Ok so adjusting end point to match start point of next paths works as you describe, bit of a pain manually editing but works.

end point adjust.jpg

Just out of interest what about the 'Connection Moves' pull down in NC program settings? I've noticed a 'Rotate,Move' option, would this have same outcome as above method?

connection moves.jpg

Message 6 of 7
NanchenO

This one depends on your machine's kinematik. I suggest that you make some tests in order to see what is the best for you.

The tool change location before or after connection can also be important.

Anyway, it mostly depends on the way you work. When you have found the correct solution, then just keep it as your standard.

Olivier

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I have same problem. Is there other methods to do it ?

image.png

image.png

if change the start point coordinate of second toolpath near to end point coordinate of first toolpath. The collision message was disappear.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report