Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing STEP files

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Pijetro
1107 Views, 4 Replies

Importing STEP files

Hey all.l

So just some background info.

Our CAD dept. uses Solidworks 98% and UG 2%.

Workflow up until now has been the CAD dept, exports IGS files out via Solidworks. Parts and Assemblies.

Within Powermill, we simply Imported IGS files..Except for having to rename the levels, all levels were imported as per CAD assembly.

It's been decided to give STEP files a chance, and here's where the issues start.

Assemblies are brought in as a single level...I therefore attempted to open up the STEP with AMDXU, to interrogate. I find the only way to export with "Levels" respected , was to go to the Advanced tab>Entity Control>Check "Write Solids to Separate Levels".

It works fine, however, I can't get the DGK or DDX exports to default with these settings. In fact, I can't save out a custom .RSC file. I'm forced to open AMDXU, check the settings, and export. It would be advantageous to have Powermill import these on default. Current workflow forces me to run AMDXU..

While we're on the subject, I've always assumed that Powermill uses .DGK information internally for model display, however, after looking after the log files, it seems that DDX is what is used internally...Am I assuming correctly?

The filesizes on the .DDX files are significantly smaller.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
kukelyk
in reply to: Pijetro

Try this after import:

STRING first_model = folder('model')[0].Name
INT i = 0
WHILE $i < size($entity('model', $first_model).hierarchy.children) {
	INT k = select_components($ENTITY('model', $first_model).Hierarchy.Children[$i].Components)
	IF number_selected($ENTITY('model', $first_model).Components) > 0 {
		STRING body = $entity('model', $first_model).hierarchy.children[$i].name
		IF NOT ENTITY_EXISTS('level', $body) {
			CREATE LEVEL $body LEVEL
		} 
		EDIT LEVEL $body ACQUIRE SELECTED
	}
	EDIT MODEL ALL DESELECT ALL
	$i = $i +1
}
Message 3 of 5
Pijetro

Ok..

I think I figured it out.

http://autode.sk/2iCHe1E

Thanks to this previous posting , I was able to manipulate the DDX resource file, add a process, and change it to true..

Levels named correctly, no reversed surfaces, faster imports, and smaller filesizes..

If there's anybody who thinks that STEP>DDX is not the best format conversion, please enlighten me.

Thanks Kukelyk, unfortunately, your macro created a LEVEL copy, and renamed it. The Debug ran fine though.

However, I think that the problem is solved..

I have a few questions between import formats (dgk vs ddx vs dmt), but perhaps another post..

Message 4 of 5
chuck

Can you please post what you changed in the DDX resource file.

We export step files from Solidworks and would like to keep the detail names from the Solidworks assembly as levels in PowerMill.

Message 5 of 5
M_Hennig

If your working mostly with Solidworks the X_T  seems to import the fastest and cleanest, at least for us.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report