Perpetual License Changes (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are you removing the Perpetual License model?

82 REPLIES 82
Message 1 of 83
JohnnyRandom
5588 Views, 82 Replies

Why are you removing the Perpetual License model?

Complex question I know, I am listening. Please do not white wash it, with something ridiculous like "it is better for the user". Straight facts, why are you removing the perpetual license model? I personally see this as I am losing the freedom of choice, the choice to reward autodesk with my continued support, only to be replaced with pay to use it or lose it.
chrisell
in reply to: owen66

"kinda hard when you have to authenticate against their servers on every usage."

This is especially problematic for corporate systems that sit behind strict firewalls. We've had to all but give up on using Adobe at our company. When they got rid of perpertual licenses and went to Adobe cloud subscription, we couldn't use any of their new CS products because of the per-use license check. Adobe had zero answer for how corporations with firewalls were supposed to use their new business model and I'm expecting Autodesk to be the same way. Then there's the other issue - the up-time of the license servers. For my personal Adobe license, about 30% of the time, Photoshop can't authenticate because of issues with Adobe's servers. If Autodesk has the same issues, it's going to be a hell of an impact on productivity 😞

Message 82 of 83
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

yes, I'm sure, the brainiacs at autodesk had their abacus working overtime on this, and they can now proudly move our little bead to the lost customer side,

unlike autodesk, we will have no worries thru this change,,,,,,,,,,,

all our Cad data is for internal use only, we will run our current acad seat to the very end of time,, and as for 3D, it's solidworks

Software Rental will never work for us, and we will simply select alternatives that do work, there's plenty of other options,

Message 83 of 83
felice.s
in reply to: chrisell

Hi @chrisell, you may already be aware but just in case... we do not require continual access to our license servers in order to participate in the subscription model. We require a connection to Autodesk at first launch of your product and then you can go offline for up to 30 days. For sites that do not allow any internet access at all, the new “network subscription” model might be a good solution as no internet access is required. Network subscription also provides license sharing among users (floating licenses).  Additionally, I have not heard of any downtime of our license servers.

Regards,

Felice

Felice S
Consumption Business Models Team

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report