Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk please do not close perpetual license

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
690 Views, 4 Replies

Autodesk please do not close perpetual license

Or people will find elsewhere and you lose revenue stream.

By introducing subscription based is a bad idea for the company. You have to allow us to purchase perpetual licenses because we want the option of freedom, if you don't people will turn elsewhere and buying a software we can buy in full. In-fact I am already looking for books in Blender since I am more experienced using Maya because I took classes in game development and now you are forcing me out, a low budget indie game developer to pay monthly subscription for something I will no longer be able to buy a full license. 

Here's the thing: I DON'T MIND PAYING AUTODESK $3,000 TO $4,000 MORE FOR MAYA 2016! PLEASE START RE-CONSIDERING IN YOUR OPTION OF ALLOWING US TO HAVE PERPETUAL LICENSES OR WE WILL LOOK ELSEWHERE!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ParishSouthBdx
in reply to: Anonymous

when you say "to buy in full".....I'm not sure if I'm interpreting you correctly, but ......I suggest taking the time to read AUTODESK, LICENSE AND SERVICES AGREEMENT, particularly SECTION 3. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, wherein you will find the following verbiage:

"......Autodesk and its licensors retain title to and ownership of, and all other rights with respect to, the Autodesk Materials and all copies thereof, including, without limitation, any related copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, patents, and other intellectual property rights.  Licensee has only the limited licenses granted with respect to the Licensed Materials expressly set forth in this Agreement, and Licensee has no other rights, implied or otherwise....."

It is my understanding, that no matter the title of the process to gain use of an Autodesk product, be it PURCHASED by way of perpetual license, or subscription based access or by way of Network License, the user never OWNS the software, or "Autodesk Materials"(A.M.).   One is granted permission to utilize the A.M. via the fore mentioned routes by way of LICENSING the materials to that person.  That applies to perpetual license also, which the birthing of will cease here shortly.  Purchasing A.M. does not afford the user the outright claim of OWNERSHIP, where one may see themselves purchasing the material and then retreating to ones bubble in life with the materials to do with as they please.  As noted above, no matter how you LEGALLY  access use of A.M. only a LIMITED LICENSE IS GRANTED for it's use contingent on the due diligence of the user in  "..........continuous compliance with this Agreement and payment of the applicable fees, Autodesk grants Licensee a nonexclusive, nonsublicensable, nontransferable, limited license to Install and Access the Licensed Materials,....."    See Section 1, part 1.1 License Grant

Moreover, if you take time to ascertain the pulse of industry, you will discover that companies such as Autodesk, are trending towards the "subscription" business model also. (eg Solidworks)

I digress.

I was compelled to engage you because I could feel in your words the same feelings I had towards purchasing an Autodesk Product.  And with the subscription mode it felt open, loose and insecure.  I felt that with a perpetual license, there were no loose ends, end of story.  Almost as if you had it in your hands.  it was tangible.  you could feel it.  see it. and it involved one process.  Buy it.  Now I feel like I dont know where the software is actually at and it has the feel of going from a hard disk copy (perpetual) to floating aimlessly amidst "the cloud".

anyway.....my 2 cents.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

I agree, I have already found several open sourced solutions, other subscription solutions that are about 1/5 the cost autodesk wants, i'm not trying to be mean but i was just getting into your software, and am on my way to owning my own company, honest your not enticing me to stay. Even your web solutions, you disabled AutoCAD 360 while i was using / paying for it, why would i want to say with a company your size that can't be depended upon, especially at your prices. again not trying to be mean but, reality check, we are the customers who put money in your pocket, if you don't serve our needs someone else will.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: ParishSouthBdx

yes, yes, agree.

basically it boils down to:

with end of perpetual license, you can no longer just purchase once and use per agreement for as long as want.....let's say your don't want upgrades and just keep it on the one machine you installed it on initally, or don't have internet, you could use for 5, 10,... when your old and gray so long as machine still worked without ever having to pay again so long as you meet the legal terms and license.

now if they do away with perpetual license you will be on the hook to pay on an ongoing basis, if ever you stop paying, you will not longer be able to leagal use, and they can change the prices at any time

.....or more concretely they can stop or disable at any moment even while you pay for it, I was paying for AutoCAD 360 and they simply turned if off and never gave a refund, simply at their whim.

I don't mind subscriptions, I actually pay for several at other vendors, but all the one's I pay for give me the option, and are far more cost effective and most importantly RELIABLE.

Peace 😃 

it is what is is, hope it works out for everyone; for me I've only been engaged with Autodesk for about 6 months and during that time consistant experience, and repeated attempts to try and play ball has left me lacking in service, so i'll just be moving on.

I wish you all luck, Peace and Goodwill,

Message 5 of 5
ParishSouthBdx

interesting enough,I find this article from earlier this year......excerpt below.   Despite Marketing Hype, CAD Users Adopt New Technologies Cautiously

15 Apr, 2015By: Robert Green

CAD Manager Column: Find out which technologies are being adopted at a faster rate.

"............The interesting thing about these conversations (with cad managers) is that they invariably lead us all to agree that the euphoric hype we read about doesn't match the reality we see in our offices. We are often left scratching our heads, wondering why the companies we work with seem so far behind the market buzz. Is it just that our companies that are slow to adopt new technology, or is the phenomenon more widespread?...."

- See more at: http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/autocad/despite-marketing-hype-cad-users-adopt-new-technologies-cautious...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report